Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

starter relay

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default starter relay

I have a 1995 F150 with the 5.0 and I just recently got it road ready. The guy I bought it from said he replaced the starter relay just prior to selling it and had the box it came from. When I took it from his garage to mine to do body work we had to mess with battery terminals. Any how I finished the work and after about a month was ready to road test it but it wouldn't start. terminals felt solid so I tried jumping across at relay and started up. Next day I changed the air idle control valve and starter relay again and it fired right up and I drove it to gas station for fuel. Well when I left station again it wouldn't start so I played around wiggling and twisting terminals till it started. drove to O'Reillys where I bought new terminals connections and replaced them. They are tight but truck wont do ANYTHING with key besides dash lights illuminating with key. started fine when I jumped relay again, is something wrong in the ignition system or am I just having terminal problems still ? any advice is appreciated
Old 09-13-2015, 10:16 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

First check all of your fuses, all of the ones related to ignition/starting anyway. Check that the wires on the starter solenoid are on correctly and in good shape, also that the frame where it's mounted is suitable to be a ground (as it uses the mounting bolts to ground itself). There are 2 solenoids on these trucks, one by the battery and one on the firewall/drivers side, ensure that the other one is still in good shape. Test for power coming to the firewall solenoid when the key is turned, if not present then you will have to track it until you get signal when the key is turned, the point between signal and not is most likely the problem.

May be the ICM but proper diagnoses/tracking is the only way to find/fix the problem without throwing parts at it, this may or may not help.

Last edited by fltdriver; 09-13-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:35 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

The little wire with the push on connector gets power from the ignition switch when you turn the key to start. That makes the relay close, basically doing the same thing as when you jump the connections there.
Get your test light and see if you have power to that connector when the key is turned to start.
If not the problem is from the ign. switch to the relay.
If you do get power there, it's somewhere in the battery-relay-starter wiring or the relay itself.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:15 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

what they say but also could be clutch switch or neutral safety switch
Old 09-14-2015, 04:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris_1
The little wire with the push on connector gets power from the ignition switch when you turn the key to start. That makes the relay close, basically doing the same thing as when you jump the connections there.
Get your test light and see if you have power to that connector when the key is turned to start.
If not the problem is from the ign. switch to the relay.
If you do get power there, it's somewhere in the battery-relay-starter wiring or the relay itself.
Actually I figured it out this morning and the problem was the wire that hooks on to the s post on the starter relay. I actually just had to take a pair of needle nose plier and pinch the connection down so the wire was actually tight on the post. Thanks for the input everybody that's why I love this forum. Between all the guys on here every problem imaginable can be solved with a little research

Quick Reply: starter relay