Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Started work last night

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 08:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Started work last night

As of right now, I have my exhaust off and lower manifold off. I've replaced and remounted a lot of broken brackets and other plastic items. I had a hard time with the manifold. I broke six bolts and still haven't gotten them out. I have a friend bringing a welder tomorrow to get those out and weld up some exhaust components. So far everything is going much smoother than expected. Gonna take my manifold to work tomorrow to pressure wash it with some degreaser. Because of the broken manifold bolts, I did need to use a cherry picker to pull it off but luckily the O'Reilly in my town let me borrow theirs.
Here's some pics of the progress.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:12 PM

Tried pressure washing my manifold to no avail. I did figure out I have a parts washer at work. 45 minutes later:

Old 04-26-2016, 10:46 AM

Received 260 Likes on 190 Posts

Looking good
Old 04-26-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Too bad about the bolts, that happens.
If they won't loosen with a little heat and big vice grips, sometimes trying to tighten them just a hair will allow you to loosen them. Old school trick that works sometimes.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Too bad about the bolts, that happens.
If they won't loosen with a little heat and big vice grips, sometimes trying to tighten them just a hair will allow you to loosen them. Old school trick that works sometimes.
I actually always use that trick. I learned it from this forum a few years back. Kept from breaking any exhaust and egr bolts. Gonna get some big vice grips today and break out the torch. Then it's all assembly from there. Gonna clean the engine bay after it's all done.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:37 PM

Daily update.
Got the broken bolts out with some vice grips and an extractor set. Got my driver side header on and replaced my driver side valve cover gasket... Again. Have the passenger side head all cleaned up. Unfortunately the rain yesterday kept me from getting all of this done then. But I gave myself two weekends for a reason. More pictures of the progress to follow.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:52 PM

So it seems as though northern Arizona has gone back in time to winter again. Progress has been slow with 40* rain. However, I did manage to get the manifold back on and my headers bolted up. Got some hoses put in place and injectors and rails put back. I'm just about ready for the plenum.

Trending Topics

Old 04-30-2016, 09:54 PM

Well, I got bad news from the guy working on my exhaust. Turns out it won't be done until Monday at the earliest. Upon hearing this, I decided to just put everything back together with all new heater hose and rubber vacuum lines. I got her fired up after a quick oil change, and man does she run much smoother. No more vacuum leaks(other than behind the dash) and fires right up without hesitation. The rain kept me from getting any finished product pictures but my engine bay isn't much cleaner. I'd love to start getting everything looking good under there but thats another project down the road.

Quick Reply: Started work last night