Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Speedometer Cable Lube

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 05:04 PM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Speedometer Cable Lube

Anyone ever inject their speedo cable with some lube to rid the cab of a pesky noise?

So I'm driving home the other night, life is good truck running fine, big 6 purring, tires making noise, new clutch doing good and the speedo cable starts singing a loud song to me from behind the dash. Now, I have no fear about it and can take it all apart and replace the cable, but I'm thinking I'll try a trick. WTH right... Got nottin to lose.

So I find and industrial type syringe and fill it with dry lube. It's molybedenum carried in a fluid that drys off after sprayed leaving the residual lube. Anyway, I go up under the dash to shoot the thing up and my syringe plugs up. It won't unplug so I need another syringe and I'm thinking maybe some other light weight lube.

So I was just wondering,, anyone ever do this? Or something similar?

Last edited by 5Rangers; 01-20-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where exactly does the cable run?
Old 01-20-2012, 05:23 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by 5Rangers
Anyone ever inject their speedo cable with some lube to rid the cab of a pesky noise?

So I'm driving home the other night, life is good truck running fine, big 6 purring, tires making noise, new clutch doing good and the speedo cable starts singing a loud song to me from behind the dash. Now, I have no fear about it and can take it all apart and replace the cable, but I'm thinking I'll try a trick. WTH right... Got nottin to lose.

So I find and industrial type syringe and fill it with dry lube. It's molybedenum carried in a fluid that drys off after sprayed leaving the residual lube. Anyway, I go up under the dash to shoot the thing up and my syringe plugs up. It won't unplug so I need another syringe and I'm thinking maybe some other light weight lube.

So I was just wondering,, anyone ever do this? Or something similar?

Id be careful what you put down that cable since it goes right back to your transfer case right? Hope it wont contaminate anything. Id just use some tranny fluid if anything and let it seep down. Just throwing ideas around, i usually just replace squeaky cables.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:29 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I couldn't get the whole cable, at least not at AutoZone. I got the cable but not the sheath, greased it with high temperature wheel bearing grease. It does not transfer fluids to or from the trans.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:42 PM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks for the wisdom guys.. Well, I got the syringe flowing again and filled it with Kroil. It's a nice light duty spray lube I use on air tools. I injected about 1/2 oz in there as high as I could right up above the column. The case of the singing speedometer cable solved for now.

On mine the cable comes out of the tailshaft housing on the transfer case. The cable runs along the framerail and goes into the cab just above floor level below the steering column, from there it goes up the firewall, and turns towards the cluster just below the brake/clutch pedal bracket.

Last edited by 5Rangers; 01-20-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Speedometer Cable Lube