Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Somebody please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somebody please help

1995 F-150 4x4 302. Intermittent no start. When I say intermittent, thats exactly what I mean. No rhyme or reason. Can be fine one day and not the next. Have been chasing it for about 8months. Narrowed down to spark...when it has a no start condition, it has no spark from the coil. I can hear the fuel pump working, so its not that. The bad thing is, while trying to check the ignition system, it may fire right up and be fine for a few days. It will start one morning, then not start a few hours later. Call a tow truck, wait for an hour and it will start right up. Replaced whole distributor 3 times, new coil, new ignition module. I am starting to think maybe ignition switch, just because that is the one thing that always changes, but has never been changed. If that makes sense. Please someone help before this Ford is burned to the ground on purpose...
Old 06-05-2012, 10:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you're on the right track. Also, make sure you're remote wire for the solenoid has a good clean, snug connection. It's just a slip on fitting.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:23 AM

have you checked the wire on the starter itself? that was my issue
Old 06-06-2012, 02:18 AM
One BAMF here

Are you keys loose in the tumbler? I've seen if they get to that point from old age or whatever they have a high probability of not working. Could always hot-wire it to test your theory...
Old 06-06-2012, 02:28 AM

Check the interlock switch on the gear shifter. I had an issue with that years ago. If the switch is not made up when the gear shifter is in Park, it won't start.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

subscribed, my dodge is having this problem right now, but i just try turning it on another 2 times and it always starts, just annoying. been doing it for about 8 months also, but it stopped for 3 months and started just this past week again. haven't had a chance to look into it yet so hopefully you guys figure it out so i wont have to lol.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:48 AM

ok...let me be a little more specific, I have a CRANK but no start. I would think that the starter wire or the solenoid wire would be exempt from this along with the interlock switch....Yes the key is kinda loose. Not as bad as I have seen some fords though. I own my own shop, so normally Im pretty good with this stuff, this truck has just been a PITA for the last 8 months. And of course, the guy works with my wife so that makes it all the more difficult. The truck could be fine one ignition cycle and then not the next. I cant even say its a daily thing. Sometimes it happens every day, sometimes it doesnt do it for a week or two or even a month. Im seriously considering the ignition switch or even a computer...Thanks in advance for the info.

Now, f150cam, does it crank and not start or do you just get a nothing when you try and start it the first time?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

Have you checked for tightness on the kind at the multi pin connector for the coil? Those are often spread from people testing with incorrect probes. Same with the ecu connection. Loose wiring is the primary cause of intermittent electrical issues. Could do a resistance test to help narrow it down. Bad connection = high resistance.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If youre just getting one loud click noise when trying to start, its probably the solenoid. My solenoid was bad a while back and sometimes my truck would start up on the first try and sometimes it would take 60 tries to get it to start.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by springhillracer
ok...let me be a little more specific, I have a CRANK but no start. I would think that the starter wire or the solenoid wire would be exempt from this along with the interlock switch....Yes the key is kinda loose. Not as bad as I have seen some fords though. I own my own shop, so normally Im pretty good with this stuff, this truck has just been a PITA for the last 8 months. And of course, the guy works with my wife so that makes it all the more difficult. The truck could be fine one ignition cycle and then not the next. I cant even say its a daily thing. Sometimes it happens every day, sometimes it doesnt do it for a week or two or even a month. Im seriously considering the ignition switch or even a computer...Thanks in advance for the info.

Now, f150cam, does it crank and not start or do you just get a nothing when you try and start it the first time?
i just get a click, i think it has something to do with the starter/wire going to the starter.