Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

SAS/ 4wd conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SAS/ 4wd conversion

Ok so I have a 1990 f150 2wd with an auto transmission with od. This guy at the welding shop I'm working at for the summer said he'd be able to do the conversion and it'd probly take a week. What year models should I use for the sas, would I need to use leafs or coils, and what should I do as far as transmission/transfer case and driveshafts. I forgot to say that my truck is a single cab lwb. I know that's a lot of questions but any help is appreciated, also this truck is and will be my dailydriver will it still drive good?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you would use coils and shocks coils would hook right to your stock spring perch you could look around for a 4 link conversion also or just run with radius arms back to the frame only thing you really need to fab is a mount for a track arm i am in the process of doing a swap in my 89 already did a ford 9" rear with 410's and a disc brake conversion now im doing a sas front with ford 9" coils and a d44 out of a 79 bronco!!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdeerhunter93
Ok so I have a 1990 f150 2wd with an auto transmission with od. This guy at the welding shop I'm working at for the summer said he'd be able to do the conversion and it'd probly take a week. What year models should I use for the sas, would I need to use leafs or coils, and what should I do as far as transmission/transfer case and driveshafts. I forgot to say that my truck is a single cab lwb. I know that's a lot of questions but any help is appreciated, also this truck is and will be my dailydriver will it still drive good?
The best option would be to transplant a manual transmission from a small block 250 or 350, a lot of work but those trannys are indestructible. You can use pretty much any tc, all the ford cases are pretty sturdy, with the 205 being the arguable best. You may or may not have to have custom ds made as I have had absolutely no luck finding some decent ones for mine.

Quick Reply: SAS/ 4wd conversion