Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Running good when its running

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Running good when its running

I'm new here, and the site looks great, alot of great looking trucks. Im sure everyone has heard this a thousand times but here it goes anyways. Was coming off the interstate today, had been running about 85 for about 15 minutes, go to get off the off ramp and BOOM big backfire, truck totally shuts off. Let it set for about 15 minutes and it started back and once again was running fine like a champ, then about a mile down the road Boom again, the water was really low oil was fine also so I figured I got it to hot and it was shutting off. Filled the radiator and started it again, idled fine ran fine(when it was running) then all of the sudden it just shuts off. My stepdad came to pull me home and on the was home(getting pulled) it started again, I let it idle for about 10 minutes before I told him to let me drive it(instead of getting pulled), once again it was driving fine. About 15 minutes later it shuts off again. Granted its not blowing water out the pipe no water on my dipstick, no oil smoke coming out the pipes, and when its running it runs like my favorite Ford....my friend told me it could be the "coil" or a sensor...any thoughts! Please its my favorite truck and like I said it runns good when its running, no choppy idle no misfire no nothing but it seems when it gets good and warm somethings shutting it off! Please HELP!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check coil wire, sometimes they corrode at the dist cap or coil, I had one blow off once and it sounded like a gun going off, but it definitely sounds like ignition.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:12 PM

Smile Gracious

So your saying its possibly the wire that goes from the coil to the distrib. cap, forgive me if I sound retarded, but your not talking about my plug wires right.
How would I go about fixing it...ie. what parts would I need. I work out of my truck and Ill be having to drive my wifes rice burning nissan till then blah!(she had it before she was my wife)
Old 09-22-2009, 10:14 PM
corey

sound to me like ur magnetic pickup in your distributor is bad
Old 09-22-2009, 10:26 PM

So you saying I need a new distrib. or do I need some sort of wire that goes from the coil to the distrib
Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 PM
corey

theres going to be some wires that come out of your distributor that have a connector on it. those run to the magnetic pickup. you can buy just that peice or you can but the whole thing.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

check the ignition module...it may be getting hot and shutting off...

a bad coil will also cause this...is it missing at all...this is what causes the BOOM...fuel in the pipe and than it sparks with the exhaust valve open...

I have had trucks do this and it was a bad ground on the engine...
Old 09-22-2009, 10:34 PM
corey

for the ground to be doin that. wouldnt it do it all the time.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:45 PM

Its not running funny at all when its running, it runs like it always did GREAT. It runs great, then all the sudden it just shuts off, Ive looked through similar posts and I know its not a fuel issue, it starts fine runs fine then it just shuts off its got to be a sensor or like my friend said the coil, Im just trying to save myself a repair bill and do it myself if its as simple as a wire or the distrib ill do it myself and save some money.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:48 PM
corey

its the magnetic pickup whats year and engine

Quick Reply: Running good when its running