Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Rotational squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:15 PM
'95 F-150 XL 4x2 inline 6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotational squeaking

I have a 1995 F150 4x2 4spd w/od that's recently developed a rotational squeaking sound when rolling. The sound is only with the clutch out and generally only in 1st and 2nd gear but could be in 3rd and 4th but due to wind noise is inaudible.

If I am rolling and press the clutch, the sound goes away. It returns on release of the clutch. Shifting into neutral when rolling and releasing the clutch does not squeak. Braking has no effect on the sound and it seems to be directly related to the clutch being out.

Any ideas?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:00 PM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

This chart along with other info is found at the LUK Clutch websitebe, maybe you have a combination of these:

NOISE
Growling or grinding when the clutch is engaged.
SOURCE
Transmission input shaft bearing

NOISE
Squealing when the pedal is actuated and held.
SOURCE
Pilot bearing or pilot bushing

NOISE
Chirping that intensifies when the pedal is slowly actuated.
SOURCE
Release bearing

NOISE
Chirping while idling in neutral that disappears when the pedal is slowly actuated.
SOURCE
Fork/pivot ball contact point

Last edited by 5Rangers; 11-30-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:05 PM

So it sounds to me like the release bearing.

edit: When they're saying actuated are they meaning releasing the clutch to engage the gear or actuate as in pressing the clutch? This would mean two different things as far as diagnosis go.

Last edited by s90rebuild; 11-30-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:20 PM

The way I read it is when the clutch is engaged, i.e. foot off the pedal. Then they have another criteria which is when the pedal is actuated.

A release bearing is also called a "throw out" bearing.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:22 PM

Well then, that solves my rear main seal leak/clutch slipping issue if I have to drop the tranny.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:28 PM

http://www.lukclutch.com/content.sch...utch_noise.jsp

Here is a link to the LUK website. Not sure what tranny you have but it is nuts and bolts. I am in the process of dropping mine since I have a chirping noise that disappears when the pedal is slowly actuated. Which indicates a "fork/pivot ball contact point" I can actually get down there while in nuetral with e brake and wiggle the fork and make the chirp disappear. Some guys would live with it, but not me. As long as I am there I will resurface the plate, replace the rear main seal, replace the clutch, thowout bearing, release fork and pilot bearing. I removed the shafts and transfer case today and readied the trans for removal, buy removing bolts and getting the shifter loosened for removal. I worked just a couple of hours.

You might have a T19 which a a substantial transmission with substantial weight, I believe some kind of tranny jack is needed. I jerked one into a jeep in my younger days but wouldn't attempt that today.

Last edited by 5Rangers; 11-30-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:14 PM

Default same issue further

I'm having the same issue. I don't think it's the throw out bearing because to my understanding, the noise comes in with that issue when engaging the clutch, and my noise comes specifically when I've let the clutch out and the trans is completely engaged.

Originally Posted by s90rebuild
I have a 1995 F150 4x2 4spd w/od that's recently developed a rotational squeaking sound when rolling. The sound is only with the clutch out and generally only in 1st and 2nd gear but could be in 3rd and 4th but due to wind noise is inaudible.

If I am rolling and press the clutch, the sound goes away. It returns on release of the clutch. Shifting into neutral when rolling and releasing the clutch does not squeak. Braking has no effect on the sound and it seems to be directly related to the clutch being out.

Any ideas?
Old 04-06-2024, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by saltysailor
I'm having the same issue. I don't think it's the throw out bearing because to my understanding, the noise comes in with that issue when engaging the clutch, and my noise comes specifically when I've let the clutch out and the trans is completely engaged.
Hey Salty, I was a sailor too but never spent a day on a ship, go figure that one out. Anyways, I sold the old girl years ago and drive an 08 Crew these days. But this is a great forum to solve your F150 woes. Appreciate your input and ask on my old post. Looks like the only thing I can see when the clutch fully engaged is the following:
NOISE
Growling or grinding when the clutch is engaged.
SOURCE

Transmission input shaft bearing

I haven't been to the Luk website recently since I'm running an Auto these days but maybe there's more info there?

http://www.lukclutch.com/content.sch...utch_noise.jsp

Quick Reply: Rotational squeaking