Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

relocating temp controls

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default relocating temp controls

has anyone here ever relocated the temp controls? Ive got an 89 f150 and have been thinking about possibly putting in a DD headunit. But to do this I'd obviously have to move those controls.
Anyone have any pics?
highly interested in moddin something up that would work. I know it'd probably be a pain without a dash kit but i think I could make something work.

my current setup is something like this(just a pic from google)
http://www.f150online.com/galleries/...1049-61701.jpg

Do you guys think this would be possible or just alittle too much work?
open to other suggestions as well lol.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:50 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

I'm sure you could figure something out. Sounds like it would be a cool mod, I want to see pictures.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:44 PM

before you get to excited about moving the temp contols and putting in a double din
check to see how much room you have behind them
i have a 95 and thought about doing the same thing but when i pulled the
temp controls out there wasnt any room behind them to put anything else there
Old 01-26-2010, 03:19 AM

there's plenty of room in the dash that I could see when i put my head unit from the other truck in(will definitely check before i make any modifications), 95's are alot more limited in space I agree and would require a lot of cutting. This is a project for alittle warmer weather lol just seeing if anyone here has ever done it before. I've got an Idea for what I want to do, but we'll see what happens.

Last edited by Spikebrian; 01-26-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:35 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I like doing stereo mods and this one sounds very interesting. You won't be able to find a dash kit and the dash modifications you will have to make will be pretty interesting, but I think it would be possible. I'm just not sure where you want to relocate the controls to. Depending on that, you'll probably have to extend vacuum lines and wiring harnesses. It's not going to be easy, but there definitely won't be many other trucks with this mod.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:55 PM

Instead of cutting the dash up and trying to figure out where your going to move the temp control's you could build a custom center console, add cup holder's, toggle switch's, ect.. You can wrap it in carpet or fiberglass it and paint it the same color as the truck.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 PM

well I've already checked it out, if i'd have to cut anything it would only have to be the trim piece and alittle part where the hvac controls sit, not too bad. If i mess the trim piece up i can just buy or junkyard another one pretty easily. if i have to extend the vacuum lines that's definetly going to be a challenge, I'm pretty good at soldering and wiring so extending the wiring wouldnt be to bad. Like i said this is definetly going to be a project for some warm weather so i'll keep you guys posted if I do it or not.

Last edited by Spikebrian; 01-26-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: relocating temp controls