Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

rebuild kit for 90 F150 fuel pump???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuild kit for 90 F150 fuel pump???

ive got a 90 F150 with a 351w. dual tanks as usual. both fuel pumps need replaced. the rear is completely gone. and the front is damn near there. it pumps, but whines really loud, and wont push enough pressure to run the truck. sometimes it'll start and idle, but not very well. and the first touch of the gas and she dies. ive looked at local parts stores and found what im told is a rebuild kit for the fuel pumps on my truck. and they seem to be a lot cheaper than new pumps. but ive never heard of anyone rebuilding these pumps themselves. and ive never opened up one of these pumps, so i have no clue if the stuff in this kit would even work in my pump. any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:30 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I have never seen a rebuild kit? Are you sure they are not talking about a sender unit with pump -vs- just the pump? Do you have a link to the kit?
Note the pumps are different front and rear.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuel sending units are different, pump motors inside are the same. Plastic shields have check valves in top part, two in each of them. With time this valves get stucked, it affects fuel pressure and mostly causes gas to return to wrong tank. Check valves can't be cleaned up/mantained, the whole fuel pump assembly is to be replaced.

If you're going to do this yourself you may want to begin with a kit you mentioned, and try to install new pump motor to each tank to make sure if the check valves are fine or not. If you're goung to pay for work - it's quite possible that you'll have to pay twice, it's a 50/50 chance.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:46 PM

well, both my gauges work fine. i've never had a problem with fuel returning to the wrong tank. i was just wondering if it would be worth the money saved to just replace the pumps inside my sending unit. like i said, ive never seen anyone do this to on of these trucks. so i was wondering if anyone else has. but ill probably just buy 2 new ones altogether and go ahead and spend the money.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 90F150XLTBilly
well, both my gauges work fine. i've never had a problem with fuel returning to the wrong tank. i was just wondering if it would be worth the money saved to just replace the pumps inside my sending unit. like i said, ive never seen anyone do this to on of these trucks. so i was wondering if anyone else has. but ill probably just buy 2 new ones altogether and go ahead and spend the money.
Your original post sounded like you found a kit to rebuild the motors. (internal parts to fix the existing motors)?
If your kit is a replacement motor then that can be done. The motor is not really inside the sender it just sits on the sender.
Autozone sells the pumps for $129 and the complete Sender assembly for $154. Note that the pumps are different front or rear. Different part numbers. The front one is taller. Older trucks had identical pumps.
When I did mine the sender was so mucked up with tar and sludge that I ended up replacing the whole tank and sender/pump units with all new.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 PM

no i was just wonderin if i could pull it apart and replace just the pump motor.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:09 PM
David Harley

I never knew they had a rebuild kit for the pump either. If it actually is a rebuild kit for the pump, it sounds like you could save some money but dropping the tank to get to it can be a pain in the a--. If the pump has come to it's dying day, it's gonna suck if the sender is also on it's way out and you have to go through all over again. My front sender went bad on my pump and was dumping my return fuel from my rear tank into my front one which had a small leak in it. I ended up removing my front tank and capping off my lines. Being i work in home improvement and never know if the places i have to work on has electric, I installed a power inverter under my truck seat toggled switched to a fuse panel and a retractable extension cord reel under my truck bed where the front tank was, feeding out from my front tank filler. Now that is Rednecked!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 90F150XLTBilly
no i was just wonderin if i could pull it apart and replace just the pump motor.
yes, it can be done
Old 01-26-2012, 11:28 PM

thanks. i need both pumps, so ill try it with one first. and if it works like it should ill do it again to the other.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:37 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Hampster
yes, it can be done
If I remember correctly, you did it, and you had problems with it shortly after.

It's not worth it, buy the whole damn thing. This coming from the cheap a$s.

Quick Reply: rebuild kit for 90 F150 fuel pump???