Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

RABS Valve Fitting Sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Dailydriving300ci-of-fury

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default RABS Valve Fitting Sizes?

Hey guys. I'm trying to find the thread sizes for the inlet and the outlet on my Rear ABS Valve so I can bypass (FOR TEST PURPOSES ONLY) it to see if it fixes a brake problem I'm having. One thread size looks bigger than the other and looked very similar to the master cylinder thread sizes, so I was able to find the master cylinder thread sizes. That might be somewhere to start.

Here is Oreilly's Auto Description on the Master cylinder:
Primary Port Thread Size: M18X1.50
Secondary Port Thread Size: 9/16-18 Inch

Does it make since for one to be metric and the other standard? I've got some brake line, a flare tool, and a brake line tubing bender, so I'm just needing the thread sizes so I can go buy some fittings. Thanks guys.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:21 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

On a 95 the one going to the back from the rabs is standard 3/16 brake line
Old 11-11-2014, 09:24 PM

If you're planning what I think you're planning, A short piece of gas line with double clamps will hold enough pressure just to see if it makes a difference
Old 11-11-2014, 10:13 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

You said flare tool, you need a double flare tool. Brake lines are double flared.

That RABS unit is mostly for decoration anyways. I've never felt one work.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
On a 95 the one going to the back from the rabs is standard 3/16 brake line
Thanks, but I need the thread sizes for the abs valve. I've already got some 3/16 brake line at the shop.

Originally Posted by Chris_1
If you're planning what I think you're planning, A short piece of gas line with double clamps will hold enough pressure just to see if it makes a difference
That sounds kinda jank. I'd rather have fittings that connect. It's a big truck, I dont wanna lose my brakes.

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
You said flare tool, you need a double flare tool. Brake lines are double flared.

Yeah, thanks for the double clarification
Old 11-12-2014, 05:46 PM

No you wouldn't want to lose brakes. I was thinking a parking lot test to see if it makes a difference.
If both lines are 3/16, the back one should screw into a union as is, cut the flare off the front one, put a different fitting on and reflare to screw into the union. Have to do it again in reverse to hook it back up, but the front line has plenty of extra in the coil-up
Old 11-15-2014, 10:11 AM

Put a junkyard Rear ABS valve on the truck. Fixed!
Old 11-15-2014, 12:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean

I agree, my truck will lock the rear wheels even with the slightest brake pedal on ice.. I believe the only thing it was there for was to add another selling point to the truck when they were new.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Vette117
I agree, my truck will lock the rear wheels even with the slightest brake pedal on ice.. I believe the only thing it was there for was to add another selling point to the truck when they were new.
Haha. Yes. I actually locked up my brakes last night to test it (couldn't do that beforehand). I've never felt 35s jump like that before. Geez. Talk about brake hop.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 65mechanic
Haha. Yes. I actually locked up my brakes last night to test it (couldn't do that beforehand). I've never felt 35s jump like that before. Geez. Talk about brake hop.
It just snowed here yesterday actually, and it was slick as hell under the snow, so I got to have some fun with that. Crappy radials with like 4% tread + RWD = Fun In The Snow.

Actually found myself driving through part of someones yard going downhill. Too slick for full brakes, so I was pumping like crazy at first, but gave up on them and just let the clutch back out and had the engine brake a bit and just coasted down the hill.

Throughout my whole day and night of wreaking havoc throughout my town, I never once felt, or heard the ABS.

On another note, I saw at least 6 or 7 near-accidents, and 2 actual accidents. Most of them were due to people holding their brakes. I don't understand how people don't realize that locked up tires have less traction than rolling tires, even on ice/snow. I know it's just reaction sometimes, but holding them ALL the way down a hill... Stumps me.

Quick Reply: RABS Valve Fitting Sizes?