Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Question about steering wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:46 PM
No One

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Question about steering wheels

If I wanted to put a steering wheel out of a 94 F150 in my 92 F150 would that work?

Would the wheel fit correctly and not look goofy?

Or would I have to change the whole column?

I know 94 had an air bag. Would I be able to utilize the air bag?

If I could use the air bag what would I have to do to hook it up?

Any help will be greatly appreciated and respected.

Shawn
Old 03-29-2011, 10:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't know if you can swap em, but I do know that you're supposed to disconnect the battery wire fromm the starter for at least a minute to allow the capacitor to discharge without blowing the bag in your face. If one doesn't have an air bag, I doubt they'll swap and still have a functioning air bag, there's some stuff in the dash or behind the instrument cluster (can't remember exactly) that's necessary for it to function. On that same note, they always say to treat the air bag (once removed) very delicately, so I'm not sure it'd be safe either way. And, there's some sort of slide contact, or something along those lines in the air bag steering wheel so that may or may not transfer over with it. Dunno
Old 03-30-2011, 03:57 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

The truck isn't wired for the air bags. Doesn't have the sensors. Doesn't have the computer.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a good question want to take out my factory wheel and insttall an after market gotta a 94 with an airbag was wondering how to take it off with out gettin a bag in the face
Old 03-30-2011, 11:34 AM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
The truck isn't wired for the air bags. Doesn't have the sensors. Doesn't have the computer.
I think the steering wheel would still mount on the 92 column, even if the airbag was useless. Would the multifunction signal switch hook up properly?

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=119
Old 03-30-2011, 03:14 PM
No One

it looks like it will fit according to the schematic you linked to. The multi function switch should not be a problem as I would not be messing with that. I want to do this because I like the 94-96 steering wheel better. the Air bag does not have to work.

Unhook the battery and carefully unplug the bag under the dash. Have to remove all power from the air bag or you will take the risk of eating it lol. What color is yours? I may buy it when you do not need it anymore.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:54 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Originally Posted by AuroraZero
it looks like it will fit according to the schematic you linked to. The multi function switch should not be a problem as I would not be messing with that. I want to do this because I like the 94-96 steering wheel better. the Air bag does not have to work.

Unhook the battery and carefully unplug the bag under the dash. Have to remove all power from the air bag or you will take the risk of eating it lol. What color is yours? I may buy it when you do not need it anymore.

Mine is faded gray, and I don't anticipate parting with my truck in the forseeable future.

Disconnect the battery, there is also a fuse(I think) that could be pulled as well.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:58 PM
No One

lol I meant Bobincognito man. He said he wanted to change his steering wheel to after market.

I will never part with mine even if I have to change the body. Nothing cutting torches and welders won't fix lol.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:26 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Originally Posted by AuroraZero
lol I meant Bobincognito man. He said he wanted to change his steering wheel to after market.

I will never part with mine even if I have to change the body. Nothing cutting torches and welders won't fix lol.
Cool.

If you want to reply to more than 1 person at a time, click on the " at the bottom right of each person's reply, then click on the post reply button at the bottom left of the thread's page. Your reply box will then contain both person's replies and you can put your answer under each one, separately.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:35 PM
No One

Cool thanks for heads up bro.

Quick Reply: Question about steering wheels