Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Putting on a new bed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting on a new bed?

Hey guys, I was thinking about putting a 6 1/2 foot bed on my 92 Flareside. I'm pretty sure I can pick one up at a junk yard for around $400. Is anything like the gas tanks attached to the bed or would I just have to undo the tail lights and license plate wiring and take out the 4 bolts (I think theres 4) that attach the bed to the frame. Also, how much do you guys think this bed weighs? I think if me and maybe 5 buddies of mine can possibly put it on our self's. Just let me know what you think!

-Tony
Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 PM

Tony just took off my 89 long bed, and someone will probably know more than me, but on my bed there were the bed bolts, lights which I unplugged, and don't forget the gas filler neck holders(3 small bolts when you open the fill door/s) not the tank just the neck are attached. I lifted my longbed with a tractor with a loader, but it probably weighed 200-300 pounds guesstimate. Patience,when lifting to make sure things are coming off right and it won't take to long, depending on stuck bolts, etc...GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Perk3384
Tony just took off my 89 long bed, and someone will probably know more than me, but on my bed there were the bed bolts, lights which I unplugged, and don't forget the gas filler neck holders(3 small bolts when you open the fill door/s) not the tank just the neck are attached. I lifted my longbed with a tractor with a loader, but it probably weighed 200-300 pounds guesstimate. Patience,when lifting to make sure things are coming off right and it won't take to long, depending on stuck bolts, etc...GOOD LUCK!
Thanks for your help, it sounds like a really good idea to use a hoist or something to take off and put on a bed seeing this is something I really don't want to rush.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:26 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

My long box had 6 bolts but it is probably different from a short bed and just 4 of us lifted it off (me, my mom and dad, then my younger sister's boyfriend) but it is heavy.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Aus nichts wird nichts

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Did it with two people....Long bed also. The more people the better though.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

is there something wrong with your flareside. we can trade!LOL
Old 10-12-2011, 10:36 PM

I just put a flareside on my 94 and other than the bed bolts and lights the only problem I had was getting the filler lines from a straight side to fit on the flareside. It wasnt a huge issue but it took longer than anything else just because they were in a fixed position so I would imagine that you might run into this aswell.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just took the bed off of my 92 2wd F150 last week. There are 6 bed bolts: 2-rear, 2-center, 2-front. Disconnect the wire harness under the left side by the rear bumper, loosen the hose clamp(s) that hold the gas filler hose(s) to the bed, & remove the 3-7mm screws that hold the gas filler neck(s) to the bed. (I have 2 Tanks which is why I pluralized the info on the tanks.). I was able to lift/slide the bed off by myself but 2 good sized guys or 1 guy with a lifting device could do it much easier. I'm 50 years old & am still a little sore moving it myself. After I took it off myself I also put it up on sawhorses by myself. 20 years of being in the U.S. Army as an Infantryman helps too....
Old 10-13-2011, 08:47 PM
army trucker

I just also replaced mine. There are 6 bolts one in each corner. And two infront of my rear tank. But that was on mine I have a long bed I'm not 100% sure. But ya just undo the lights and the fuel tank hoses are attached to the bed but not the tanks. And that many people should be plenty. Me and two of my busts carried and put on my bed and like I said itsa long bed not sure on the weight tho. Not light lol. But my old bed I was able to just flip off bymyself. And cut it all up into pieces with my sawzaw.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trucks till i die
......and the fuel tank hoses are attached to the bed but not the tanks.
Don't quite understand what you're saying... The tank hoses are NOT attached to the tanks? Or the gas tanks aren't attached to the bed?

The tank hoses are attached to BOTH the bed AND the tanks. You have to disconnect them from the bed at 2 points as I described in my post but they can remain attached to the tanks.

Putting on a new bed?-image-1148592873.jpg

Off Topic; You a Screaming Eagle Vet? I served in Desert Shield & Desert Storm with the 101st! Earned my CIB in the desert as a Screaming Eagle!! "A Rendezvous With Destiny"!!

Quick Reply: Putting on a new bed?