Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

PRoject idea..Tko 500 trans?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRoject idea..Tko 500 trans?

I was contemplating getting a 85 -90 2wd short bed f150 for a project I'm brain storming on. I have a carb'd 393 stroker in a mustang with a tko 500 trans with 3.73 gears in a 8.8 rear end. I want to swap all this over to a truck like i described. I know it should all swap over with ease but here is my issue. Will a tko 500 fit in one of these trucks? I know they fit fine in a mustang that has the t5 trans like my 95 gt. So i think i'll be ok there. Which brings me to my next concern. I know the mustang clutch is cable operated which i'm good with but the f150 used a hydraulic setup correct? Can you convert to cable operation? As for the fuel system, ignition systems,ect i have all the stuff needed to figure that out. I was just more along the lines of curious on the trans. Any info will be appreciated thank you!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Everything will work, but the mustang shifter will sit too far back against the seat, truck shifters are basically in the center of the truck, car shifters are more toward the rear of the trans. Everything will work, but the location of the shifter is in the wrong place. The mustang rear is a bit narrower than the truck, and you will have to remove the coil coil brackets and weld on leaf spring brackets.

Last edited by dirtcrew51m; 07-03-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtcrew51m
Everything will work, but the mustang shifter will sit too far back against the seat, truck shifters are basically in the center of the truck, car shifters are more toward the rear of the trans. Everything will work, but the location of the shifter is in the wrong place. The mustang rear is a bit narrower than the truck, and you will have to remove the coil coil brackets and weld on leaf spring brackets.
We put the drivetrain from a mustang gt in a 2wd f150, years ago, we had to cut a h shaped plate to move the shifter arm, forward, and ahead of the seat, used a hurst stick and boot, the bracket was about 5inches forward and 2 inches up, it was 15 years ago so its a bit foggy, i think we modded the clutch to work with an external slave cylinder from a 4 speed f150, it was a fun combo ,until it blew up, kids, dumb kids,, fun.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:58 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Using the external slave would be the best way to do it, I think anyways.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 AM

Thanks guys! I'm really excited to hopefully get to start on a project like this soon!
Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 PM

I think it'd just be easier to swap all the internals from the mustang rear to the truck rear. I'll have to swap in some 31 spline spider gears to match up to the trucks 31 spline axles though? Since the truck rear end on the 92 flare side a tone ring/ect where the mustang rear doesn't.Sound feasible?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:10 PM

Just swap the ring and pinion, don t know where to look for 31 spline side gears for a trak lock, but i know where to find whole trak lock carriers, 3.73s might not be enough though, usually trucks are heavier, and run taller tires than a typical stang,
Old 07-12-2012, 12:15 PM

I just had the mustang rear end rebuilt completely 2 months ago is all, all new bearings, diff clutches ect. You can find the 31 spline spider gears at 50resto.com. http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...t-99-Cobra-Irs

The engine going in is a 393 stroker set for low and mid range power so Shouldn't be to bad
Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel Eckley
I just had the mustang rear end rebuilt completely 2 months ago is all, all new bearings, diff clutches ect. You can find the 31 spline spider gears at 50resto.com. http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...t-99-Cobra-Irs

The engine going in is a 393 stroker set for low and mid range power so Shouldn't be to bad
Okay you can get them somewhere

Found a Car Craft piece on a T5 swap to a maverick, it shows how they made a cable clutch work, made me think it wouldn t be as hard with converting a truck clutch pedal, just rotate or rework the arm that pushes the master cyl, to pull the cable. http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...wap/index.html

Quick Reply: PRoject idea..Tko 500 trans?