Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Permanently deleting front fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Permanently deleting front fuel tank

I have owned my 93 4.9 extended cab, long bed with 291k miles for two years. The front tank fuel pump has never worked, so I use the back tank. About six months ago, I noticed that the return fuel was being dumped into the front tank, but had very little overflow. But it's gotten worse. Like 4 gallons in 15 miles worse. So, I decided to drain and drop the front tank and remove it completely. I cut off the hoses at the frame rail manifold, but now need to loop the two stubs together or plug them. I was told that regular fuel line (unbraided) isn't strong enough and that worm clamps won't hold up. Any advice on how to permanently take care of this problem?

Old 01-13-2022, 09:32 PM

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,492 Posts

You've ruined those fuel lines. It would have been easy & cheap if you had NOT cut them off. Now, there's NO reliable & safe way to do it. DO NOT loop them together. DO NOT use rubber fuel hose. Go the local & surrounding JYs and find a '90-96 single-tank truck with the same wheelbase as yours, and salvage its fuel lines.

The only other possible way would be to remove & drain those lines completely, and then braze/solder them shut as explained here (the way you could/should have done it originally):

(click this text)
The following users liked this post:
Jimmmm (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delete Fuel tank temporarily

Now , front tank is plugged.
what about the tank vent?
Should I leave everything the same

Quick Reply: Permanently deleting front fuel tank