Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Parking Brake Cable, help :)

Old 11-04-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake Cable, help :)

Hi Guys, My parking brake cable broke and im going to replace it this weekend. Its only the front part of the cable that needs to be replaced because its where it attaches to the pedal that it broke.

When i went into the local napa they said i need to know my wheelbase for them to give me the right cable??? How do i find this out so that i can make sure i get the right cable.

Aslo is it a pretty easy job? Do you need any special tools and do you think a noob like myself could do it?

I looked in my book but for some reason there is no instructions on how to replace it.

Its a 1994 f150 4.9L 4x4

Thanks so mUch!@
Old 11-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

do you use it alot...if not dont fix it...those things rust and one day you use it and it wont come loose...
Old 11-04-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by dr_bowtie
do you use it alot...if not dont fix it...those things rust and one day you use it and it wont come loose...

The problem is its get very cold here, im in bc canada. My truck is a manual transmission and to let it warm up (its normally parked on a hill) i have to be sitting out in the cold with my foot on the brake. I want to be able to leave it running with the parking brake on until its warm.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

ok that makes sense....I have a manual and I unhooked mine as it wasnt used...

but wheel base is center of the front axle to center of the rear axle....
Old 11-04-2009, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by dr_bowtie
ok that makes sense....I have a manual and I unhooked mine as it wasnt used...

but wheel base is center of the front axle to center of the rear axle....
Would i need to take the rims off to measure that? Or can i just do it from the middle of the hubs?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:32 PM

Ok i found the wheelbase, apparently its 116.8.

Now can anyone comment on whether special tools are needed or how easy the job is? Remember its just the front piece of cable.. it attaches to the pedal.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

no special tools needed..simple clip together stuff...
Old 09-05-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by vlasveld
Hi Guys, My parking brake cable broke and im going to replace it this weekend. Its only the front part of the cable that needs to be replaced because its where it attaches to the pedal that it broke.

When i went into the local napa they said i need to know my wheelbase for them to give me the right cable??? How do i find this out so that i can make sure i get the right cable.

Aslo is it a pretty easy job? Do you need any special tools and do you think a noob like myself could do it?

I looked in my book but for some reason there is no instructions on how to replace it.

Its a 1994 f150 4.9L 4x4

Thanks so mUch!@
Got the same problem with my truck, and my Chilton manual is the most worthless piece of garbage I have ever bought in my life. Useless in every way, but that's what you get when you buy a little manual that tries to tell you how to fix three dozen different vehicles. Hope I can find some help, too.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:19 PM
1995 Ford F-150 XL 4x4

I have a '95 and if its the intermediate cable then its simple as can be. took me 3 minutes and a pair of vice grips or pliers. the cable runs just below the drivers side on the outside of the frame. if your snapped then you can see where it is hanging. use the pliers to "open" the front clip a little, slide out cable, go to the back and swing the cable so it lines up with the big hole and comes loose.

re-install by clipping the front first and squeeze the clip back over the cable end, then grab the back connector and pull it towards the front - you may have to pull hard. hook the cable back in reverse of the way you removed it. get in the truck, step on the parking brake pedal so it tightens, release and you're all set.

i don't know if 94s have an adjustment screw or not, i know the 95s and up have a self-tightening adjuster in the pedal. so don't stomp it to the floor (like i did) break the cable.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:22 PM

Default parking rbake cable

wheel base is center of front tire to center of rear tire

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking Brake Cable, help :)