Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Ok a few issues, who's got the knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ok a few issues, who's got the knowledge

First off I was having some shifting issues, I did my trans service with filter, seemed good until I started getting hard shifts. My OD light never worked since I got the truck and then started working again after the service. It stopped working when the hard shifts started. I replaced the VSS sensor on the diff. and the speedo went wild over 55mph. I put the old one back in because the Borg Warner was causing this, I also had the battery disconnected. I put it all back together and something reset, upshifts got soft again. I also recalibrated the PSOM to accomadate my 33" tires.
I read somewhere that the trans can go into limp mode if one of the brake lights is out, turns out my 3rd brake light was fried. I also noticed the cargo lights were no good also. I changed all 3 bulbs and the 3rd brake light started working again. Now for some reason my cargo lights will not go out, they stay on no matter what. I also forgot to mention my dome light does not work, nor my map lights. I noticed the pin at the driver door is stuck in allowing the light not to come on although passenger side is fine and the map lights should work too, but they don't!. I will replace the pin next and see if things change.
Just to confirm all fuses and relays have been checked, ALL GOOD!
Any advice would be great thanks!!!
Old 06-03-2018, 04:15 PM

Just changed both door light pins, no change in dome light
Old 06-06-2018, 11:35 PM

Figured out dome light, it had a bad ground, this fixed the cargo lights.

Truck ran and shifted fine for about 60 miles. It is back to shifting hard and I disconnected the battery. Shifts perfect again.
Retrieved a code 628 (excessive torque converter clutch slippage)
I've read the neutral safety switch can cause this or the throttle position sensor. OR a bad Torque converter
I feel how can the converter be bad, if it works perfect after a reset?
Old 06-12-2018, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rev the engine a couple of time and when it falls back to idle put it in drive and listen for clunking or see if it lurches forward. that is a sign of a failing torque converter.

Quick Reply: Ok a few issues, who's got the knowledge