Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Bad water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad water pump?

Hello all! My grandpa 94 f150 is having some issues.

He told me that he believes the water pump is shot because the truck is over heating pretty quickly. I think he might be right but wanted to get some more opinions.

Right now after the truck runs for 10 minutes or so it begins to overheat. Last night I checked the coolant reservoir and noticed it was empty. I almost filled it completely and then dumped a little directly into the radiator.

Today I started it and it has a constant loud squeal (which he mentioned to me) and it still overheated. When I checked the reservoir, it looks as if not a drop has left it. Again, after about 10 minutes of running I had to shut it off as it was getting way to hot.

I pulled the top radiator hose and all that came out was a cup or two of nasty brown looking coolant. Out of the bottom hose came about 3 or 4 cups of less brown, but still brown, coolant.

is it possible there is a clog somewhere or is the water pump shot? Or something else?

1994 ford f150 cl
v8 5 speed manual
163k miles
Old 06-13-2018, 12:32 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Lots of misconceptions in your post...

Overheating is a process that ruins an engine. If it still runs, it didn't overheat. Exactly what makes you (him) think it's getting too hot? Just the dash gauge? A modern non-contact IR thermometer? Is coolant boiling out of the radiator cap or overflow tank? Is coolant leaking out of the engine or radiator somewhere?

Exactly what did you put in the reservoir & radiator? Mixed coolant, tap water, distilled water, concentrated coolant...?

Nothing comes out of the tank when the engine is running - coolant can only go into the tank. As the engine cools, it's supposed to pull in any needed coolant from the tank, assuming everything is working right.

Coolant is similar to oil in that it needs to be changed on-schedule, regardless of miles or how it looks. If it's brown, someone let it go WAAAAAAYYYY too long, and there's damage in the whole coolant system. It needs to be backflushed & cleaned, and damaged parts (pump, radiator, heater core, etc.) need to be replaced. Click this & follow the link in its caption:

(phone app link)

Quick Reply: Bad water pump?