Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

no spark in my 93 lightning.. im lost

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy no spark in my 93 lightning.. im lost

ok, so i have a 93 ford lightning, 5.8. it has full exhaust, heads, headers, cam, and is vortec pro-charged. im having a problem with it, it is not getting spark.

i was drivin on the highway one day at about 65 mph and all the sudden the truck stalled on me, all the electronics still work but the engine died. i pull over and try to start it, it cranks over but im not getting it started.

long story short i am not getting any spark. i have a new motor craft distributor, and cap. replaced the blaster coil. (msd blaster 2) and i am not getting spark from that. i have also replaced the msd 6 btm ignition box, and am still not getting spark from that. i have replaced this three times thinking it is the initial problem. i have tested the box the way msd said and the test comes back for my brand new box that it is bad. the way ti do this is have it hooked up, turn the key to on, and ground the white wire( wire to distriutor) and it should spark. it does not spark, but makes a sound. i have checked and replaced all the wires into and out of the msd 6, and have tried this with two different batteries. my ground is good, my power wire is good, as well as my wires to the coil, and the ignition wire and wire to distributor.

im lost as to what it could be, i was thinking it could be a power wire grounded somewhere, but nothing else electronically screws up.

if anyone can figure it out, or any suggestions i would be forever greatful. thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 10:44 PM

no clues anyone? or can you even understand my explanation?
Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Big Rig Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried not using the msd box and just going back to the old system?
getting a signal from the dizzy?
gear on the dizzy ok? cam gear ok?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 PM

i got the truck with the msd, i have to buy a new stock system and itll have to be retuned bc of the supercharger if i have to go stock again no? and its not even arcing over from the coil when i check that wire, i dont understand how and why my box wont send power to my coil to send it to my distributor. i havent checked to see if the rotar turns, but i imagine so.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:22 AM

Pick-up coil generates a voltage that is sent to the ICM (ignition control module) for proper ignition firing.
When not replaced, vehicle may experience no start, hard start, intermittent engine shut down, misfire, engine cut out, excessive fuel consumption, CEL illumination and/or failed emission test.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 AM

if nu thing else you may have jump Timing gust sum thing to look at
Old 01-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

what about the Ignition module on the fender... those go bad and no spark... the MSD box would beef up the coil but still needs to be triggered by the ignition module...
Old 02-22-2012, 02:58 PM

Yea it was my ignition module, thank you guys!

Quick Reply: no spark in my 93 lightning.. im lost