Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

new motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default new motor

So I'm wondering what I should do. I'm looking for some more HP and reliability. My question is should I do a rebuild, a stroker, or possibly a crate motor. Currently its a 92 5.0 with 181k miles. Can't see the payments on a new truck so thinking about slowly updating the old girl. Looking around 2-3k for the motor budget
Old 01-28-2014, 01:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well it really depends on what you want to do and how much you want out of it. easiest route is the crate motor, but if you really want to have the experience and enjoy working on it, then the rebuild is a good route. Especially because there are people like drbowtie on here that are very knowledgeable about engines and can help you out a lot along the way. im sure he will see your question pretty soon and give you some input, just let him know what exactly you want. i just build a 408 stroker motor and it was an awesome experience and it runs great. but you said 2-3k, so that pretty much eliminates the stroker. 6500 for mine, only thing original was the block when i finished. like i said, it just depends on what you want. 2-3k you can probably get a pretty good crate motor for about that with some heads and a cam or something of the sort. But heads will run you about 1500 and pistons and rings about 500 then cam about 3-500 so just make sure you sit down and plan it out before hand so you can know how much you're going to spend and exactly what you need. keep us updated!

Last edited by lksmith95; 01-28-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply: new motor