Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Negative camber issues

Old 09-09-2016, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negative camber issues

I'm all new to this forum scene, I'm 17 and finally saved up enough for one of these old fords. I bought a '93 f150 xlt w/ a 4" rough country lift & 33's. But I noticed whenever I backed up the truck my front tires experienced some major negative camber. It straightens out after driving like 5 feet forward. I've heard it's common with the TTB front end but is there a solution to this? I emailed rough country and they said it's an alignment issue. I've also read it could be ball joints or camber bushings on other forums. Any advice could help, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Negative camber issues-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 09-09-2016, 08:45 PM
Seņor Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ball joints are not hard to check. Jack up one of the front wheels with tire still on. With the wheel in the air, grip the tire at 6 and 12 o'clock and firmly try to jiggle the wheel. Anything but the very slightest amount of play would indicate an issue with either the wheel bearings or ball joints. Bonus points if you hear metallic clacking, which definitely indicates a problem.

While you have it up in the air, grip at 3 and 9 o'clock and once again firmly try to jiggle the wheel. If you pull hard/long enough you'll make your steering system move, but any play short of that amount of effort would probably mean a tie rod end or wheel bearing issue, which you can visually check pretty easily to determine if the tie rod end is at fault.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:48 PM

I'll check those tomorrow, thank you!
Old 09-09-2016, 11:48 PM

it's the Independent front suspension. it would do it right out of the factory. don't worry about it. it's only backing up. as long as it's not like it in forward motion you are just fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Negative camber issues