Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Maitenance/tune-ups? Info? Feel free to suggest:)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maitenance/tune-ups? Info? Feel free to suggest:)

I got a 91 300 I6 with 237,000 miles and it used to be our work truck, but i inherited it as a daily driver. It runs ok but may need something for better mpg and hp and to run and idle smoother, any suggestions?
I need to know some tune-ups or add on parts for atleast better mpg's if not hp, And has to be in a reasonable price range. Feel free to throw out any ideas, Thanks.
I am gettin a highflow muffler and tip, but other than that its stock, how would new heads work on this? Maybe intake filter? Or fuel injectors/pump stuff?
Old 01-23-2010, 12:38 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

I follow the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Sometimes I follow the "If it is broke, don't fix it" mentality.

Fluids, filters, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc...
Old 01-23-2010, 12:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

How many MPG ru getting now, and how many MPG would u like to get.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:19 AM

Right now im only gettin 11-12. I would like 14-15 and more hp. i get 145 hp stock. Any suggestions?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:34 AM

I have a 93 f150 V8 , i was getting about 13 mpg. i install e-fans and KN filter and now im getting about 16 city and 18 freeway, still need to do cuople more things my goal its to get about 18 or 20 city. thinking on changing cap,rotor and coil next see how many more can i get there , and then a flowmaster. but u can only get so many with engine u have . after that is just wasting money. try one thing at a time and see how many more mpg can u get each time. dont forget every engine its different even if they are same size. it deppends on driving conditions and location. With thta many miles on ur engine no sure if u can get more hp. than the ones u have now.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:52 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Run Error code scans, deal w/ error codes. Desludge oil/ Decarbon combustion chambers w/ Seafoam, Desludge transmission w/ Transtune. Personally I'd then flush all fluids & switch to synthetics, including Brake fluid, differential. Flush & refill coolant system using antifreeze & distilled water. Ignition upgrade, timing bump, plug gap stretch, K&N drop in. Remove & clean the EGR & IAC. Replace PCV & o2 sensor. Your going to get a substantial increase in performance, MPG, and reliability. How much additional performance &MPG increase will depend alot on what compression you still have in the ol'girl. This is exactly what & all I did to my 87' 302, getting 17@35mph/city/23@65mph MPG up from 10/13 MPG when I got it. It's been boringly reliable since. However, I'm at 87K and your at 237K, so there will be a compression difference. I'm thinking about $400, and your done. You can spread the work out over a period of time.

Last edited by ymeski56; 01-23-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:00 AM

Ok well i will probably get the filter done, whats the e fan? Im new to this, how do you install it? Also what is a timing bump, and how do you clean the EGR and IAC?
I think i am going to do seafoam too, so that should help a lot
Old 01-23-2010, 12:22 PM

e-fan = electric fan, u need to remove engine fan and install the e-fan.I post some pics of mine here u can check them. timing bump its increasing timing on ur truck . to clean EGR and IAC u have to remove them from engine and cleaning no sure what everybody use to clean them with.i use a type of cleaner that doesnt damage ruber or seals on mine. i get that from work. u can go to ur local auto store see what they have. about seafoam i heard everybody here and friend that i works great im been thinking of use it on my truck too.but im little concern about use it. im thinking only use it on my intake but dont know how much that will help. the porpuse of seafome its to clean everythin in engine. so if it works the way it suppose it should clean nice. the proble its . if i use it on my old engine it might start leacking from gaskets cause seafome its going to remove any build up on them. thats my personal opinion .i going to start a new post about seafoamto see everybody opinion .

Last edited by J.A.C; 01-23-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:07 PM

ok well im just deciding to get some live valvoline or penzoil fuel injector cleaner. How much do you think the e-fan will run me? How difficult is it to install?
Old 01-23-2010, 02:12 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by 91whitelariat
ok well im just deciding to get some live valvoline or penzoil fuel injector cleaner. How much do you think the e-fan will run me? How difficult is it to install?
Lucas Injector cleaner!

Quick Reply: Maitenance/tune-ups? Info? Feel free to suggest:)