Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling kit

I recently bought a leveling kit for my truck and it didn't come with instructions. I've searched online for some without any luck.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to do it and if anyone has any tips for installing it. It's the kind that has the spacer and the nut extender.

Going on my 96 150 4wd
Thanks!
Old 09-09-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

You have to remove the coil springs.
If i remember correctly you have to remove:
- Front wheels/tires
- lower shock bolt
- brake caliper (just remove the pins to get it out of the way)
- upper spring retainer nut & clip
- lower spring nut (inside the spring, i think 1 1/8 or 34mm)
- sway bar bolt/nut

Once that is all removed, its a matter of pushing down on the hub and pulling the spring out by hand. The extender and spacer both go on the bottom mount and the coil sits on top of those.

Last edited by clarkbre; 09-09-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A couple thoughs/questions.

Would it be easier to rent or borrow spring compressors then just remove top retaining bolt? Maybe there is not enough room to compress?

Doesn't the big bolt under the spring just hold the swaybar mount? Can you just unbolt the swaybar? Asking because most people don't have 34MM wrench.

Thanks
Old 09-10-2015, 11:47 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a strange problem with my spacers. I did same as posted on this thread. My problem was the stud extender. After I installed it, the shoulder of the nut was higher than the bottom of the spring so the concave washer was not flush with the bottom of the spring. I had to get the truck home, so what I did was turned the washer upside down. It held the bottom of the spring in place for sure. Not sure if the concave part really needs to be that way on the bottom of the spring
Old 09-10-2015, 12:10 PM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by ToddS
Would it be easier to rent or borrow spring compressors then just remove top retaining bolt? Maybe there is not enough room to compress?
No, the bottom 1 1/8" nut inside the coil needs to be removed. Also, the spring is not under much tension when everything is unbolted and the spindle is lowered down. A spring compressor would work in an application where you had to mount a spring on a strut.

Originally Posted by ToddS
Doesn't the big bolt under the spring just hold the swaybar mount? Can you just unbolt the swaybar? Asking because most people don't have 34MM wrench.
Most people probably don't work on their own vehicles too often. The nut must be removed because it holds a large (about 3" diameter) washer that holds the bottom of the spring to the lower suspension. The correct socket was less than $10 at the autoparts store. Also, 2 tips for removing that nut: 1. soak it a week prior with PB Blaster. 2. get yourself multiple socket extension pieces. You can put the socket in the center of the spring and then attach extensions out the top of the spring hanger. It's a direct rachet then.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Clarke I couldn't tell that the big washer was holding the spring in place. I thought it just sat there. Figured it was like my mustang and nothing held it in place other than weight.
Old 04-21-2023, 12:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where can I get the washer and lower spring seat for the suspension coil in the schematic above?
Old 04-21-2023, 10:12 AM

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Schematic?

A junkyard would be my first choice.
Old 04-21-2023, 10:43 AM

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Agree, junkyard is where I got all my parts for the factory front sway bar setup which includes what you're looking for.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit