Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Interior painting tips wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior painting tips wanted

I just went to the local junkyard and bought a newer taurus domelight for my truck, and bought some duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint. Any advice on how to make sure it adheres well? I saw there is plastic primer and adhesion promoter, are these needed for it to work correctly? Its a light tan light in a 89 with red interior.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Best bet is to clean really good with soap and HOT water - then let dry and follow instrctions on the can - SEM Paints have a two to 3 step process of cleaning - adhesion promoter - primer and fianlly paint.

What year Taurus? I would be interested to see a picture of the light and how you mount it!. I really don't like the factory dome / reading lights assembly in my 91

ToddsSS
Benton, AR
Old 10-05-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I did just as Stacey David did on Gearz.

Clean with warm water, TSP and a scuffing pad. You can buy TSP at your hardware store. Spray adhesion promotor, and then vinyl paint.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:35 PM

ToddsSS I had to look through 20 cars, and I found one in a early 90's taurus. Mustangs had em too, but most were gone in them. superdutys have them, f150s 95 and newer do. I read that your supposed to cut a tab off the back for them to mount them, but it fit fine. same 3 screw bolt pattern. better dome light, I also installed a 20 LED bulb replacement piece I got from autozone(I work there.) in place of the dome light. I'll get you some pics, Ive heard alot about krylon paint, just spraying it straight on, no primer or adhesion promoter, and it works ..or may just bite the bullet and buy some more prep stuff. The map lights aren't angled much better, but I may install LEDs in them to, just to make it even brighter.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 PM

heres a few pics of how it looks, hopefully I can pull it and paint it tommorrow
Attached Thumbnails Interior painting tips wanted-dcp03317.jpg   Interior painting tips wanted-dcp03320.jpg  

Quick Reply: Interior painting tips wanted