Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Increasing drivability and MPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Increasing drivability and MPG

Know this there is all sorts of stuff on here about this sort of stuff but I just figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to put it all together and get some help from everyone and also allow people to use some of the info in this thread if it gets going.

I am goin to college in the fall and my parents want to get me somethin "better on gas" I've already told them it has to be a Ford with a bed but it's hard to not want to take my beautiful 95 302... I have done e-fans, 6 liter tune, k&n intake, and single 50 series with dual out. I love it so much but it's so hard to drive on the high way and it gets about 9-11 mpgs... Here's a list of some things I would like to do. Any feed back and comments would be greatly appreciated. If I could get it up to about 13 and make it alittle easier to control that would be amazing.

- 33x9.5 all terrains (have x12.5s now)
- new power steering pump (very lose steering with a lot of play)
- smoother shocks (have sensatracs but are way to stiff)
- 3.55 gearing (currently 2.73)
- shorty headers with high flow cat (pretty sure cats are done in mine)
- steering stabilizer
- rear sway bar
- bumper with air valance (removed valance on stock)
- bed cover if I have too...

Also, I have a rough country leveling kit but again I feel like my truck doesn't have any suspension. It's like a rock. Is there any way of leveling it And makin it alittle smoother? 250 shocks or just another company? I know many might say get rid of leveling kit and 33s but I can't... Love the way my truck is right now and don't want to change it to much.

Thank you so much for the help and any is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:33 AM

I would also like to run it for codes and fix all of those that I can. I know tps keeps comin up and I'm sure that one could be a reason for bad gas mileage.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:25 AM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by CherryRed95
Know this there is all sorts of stuff on here about this sort of stuff but I just figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to put it all together and get some help from everyone and also allow people to use some of the info in this thread if it gets going.

I am goin to college in the fall and my parents want to get me somethin "better on gas" I've already told them it has to be a Ford with a bed but it's hard to not want to take my beautiful 95 302... I have done e-fans, 6 liter tune, k&n intake, and single 50 series with dual out. I love it so much but it's so hard to drive on the high way and it gets about 9-11 mpgs... Here's a list of some things I would like to do. Any feed back and comments would be greatly appreciated. If I could get it up to about 13 and make it alittle easier to control that would be amazing.

- 33x9.5 all terrains (have x12.5s now)
- new power steering pump (very lose steering with a lot of play)
- smoother shocks (have sensatracs but are way to stiff)
- 3.55 gearing (currently 2.73)
- shorty headers with high flow cat (pretty sure cats are done in mine)
- steering stabilizer
- rear sway bar
- bumper with air valance (removed valance on stock)
- bed cover if I have too...

Also, I have a rough country leveling kit but again I feel like my truck doesn't have any suspension. It's like a rock. Is there any way of leveling it And makin it alittle smoother? 250 shocks or just another company? I know many might say get rid of leveling kit and 33s but I can't... Love the way my truck is right now and don't want to change it to much.

Thank you so much for the help and any is greatly appreciated.
You're running 33" tires with 2.73 gears? Already a bad idea. If you were actually shooting for better MPG you would ditch the tires and go smaller. In the case of MPG you're either gonna ditch the stuff you don't need on the truck or get a different vehicle that's better on gas. If you aren't willing to take off or change anything that could actually make a difference in MPG then just stop now and find a car. You already have "highway" gears (as far as I've always been told, numerically lower gears are better for mpg) trying to turn wheels that are probably too big for them. Even if you got bigger gears to handle the tires you still aren't getting everything you can out of the truck.

Even if you fix every error code you aren't gonna squeeze much out of it. Also, you're driving style has to completely revolve around saving gas. No goosing it at stop lights to try and impress people, no useless driving, low speeds will be your new best friend. Basically driving like a stereotypical old lady, minus swerving and accidents.

You're right that there are already a LOT of threads that cover this and you've already done a lot of what is always suggested in pretty much every thread about MPG. Nearly every piece of advice has been "put all together" in about 50 threads. If you can't squeeze every mile you can out of your gas after reading all those, there isn't any hope of you doing it after starting your own thread.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:54 AM

Received 113 Likes on 110 Posts

^what he said. A new pump won't fix loose steering. Joints, links , bushings, bearings and gear box. I think gear box is what you meant. Definitely start by fixing broken things like codes. Any other alterations will just make things worse if the vehicle isn't running per factory first. All upgrades are designed to work from an OEM performing engine. Tires are killing you. I think we need more info on the suspension. The setup you are describing should be soft not firm. Need to make sure we have a good understanding of terms and parts.

Last edited by Warlockk; 05-27-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:28 AM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

As said, the tires are your enemy. Stock tires with the 2.73 rear is the highest rated mpg ford offered in our trucks. 3.55 will get you pulling better, but you run higher rpm at highway speed and burn more fuel. It may slightly benefit you in town stop and go traffic, but highway is out for improved mpg. Your building an offroad truck. You've got to decide on which direction your going. Low mpg toy or highway travel vehicle.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:01 PM

Ok. Alright so nevermind about mpg. As far as suspension I've just got the 33s set at 35 psi, rough country 1.5 leveling kit, new ball joints, and new Monroe sensatrac shock absorbers... I got them off rock auto and they were about 60 dollars for all of them so they had probably been sitting on a shelf for a decade at least because the boxes had dust all over them and looked like they were just old and faded.... So that could be why they are so stiff. I would like to get some polyurethane in there but all of the original bushings are stock and most likely worn out
Old 05-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

2.73 gears and 33s are murdering your mpg. 3.55s will gain a decent improvement i think. but the 33s are not helping either.

all the other mods/repairs you have in mind sound good to me.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by f150cam
2.73 gears and 33s are murdering your mpg. 3.55s will gain a decent improvement i think. but the 33s are not helping either. all the other mods/repairs you have in mind sound good to me.
Thank you. I figured 3.55 would help.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:40 PM

Received 62 Likes on 62 Posts

Take the truck to school and take the
gray hound bus home when needed.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:50 PM

Not a bad idea... Haha

Quick Reply: Increasing drivability and MPG