Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Ignition Key Cylinder/Steering Wheel Won't Lock

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Key Cylinder/Steering Wheel Won't Lock

I've found this forum very helpful with other issues thus far,and I've tried searching this topic but have not been able to find this issue. My '94 F150, 4.9, auto, non-tilt steering column, has begun doing this nine times out of ten: key cylinder will not return to lock position and the wheel will not lock either. I feel solid resistance stopping the cylinder, and then with more pressure I get a click and the cylinder will lock. Now I know I'm gonna damage something if I continue doing this, maybe I already have. I've removed the key cylinder and it seems fine, even added a little dielectric grease to the cylinder just in case. I'm looking for a little guidence before I dive in. I dropped the column about a year ago to replace the bushings on the shift rod, but I don't know where to start on this one. This is my daily driver so i like to have a plan before I start.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Could be a problem in the rod that goes to the ignition switch or the ignition switch itself. The ignition switch is the big (usually white) switch with all the wires on it bolted on the bottom of the column about 2/3 of the way down.
Turning the key moves a rod. The rod has a bend at the end that fits into the ignition switch and moves it from accessory to off to on to start. Start is spring loaded to push back.
If you lie on your back on the floor and look up you'll see it. You can take the switch off and see if the key works properly without it. You can also operate the switch by hand when it's unbolted to see if it's binding.
1/2 hour or so (the first time) to take that apart and put it back together. Then you'll know if you need to get a new ignition switch or if the problem is further up in the column.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:24 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

With key cylinders you should only use graphite as a lubricant. Don't know why but that's just what I've always been told.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Chris 1, for your reply to my question. I'll start with that and hope it's as easy as the ignition switch.

And fltdriver, thanks for that advice, I've always used a graphite-based lubricant on the door locks, for this I only applied the grease to the exterior of the key cylinder.

Quick Reply: Ignition Key Cylinder/Steering Wheel Won't Lock