Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Fuel filter change

Old 09-07-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fuel filter change

I have a 1990 5.0L 4x4 and need to replace the fuel filter. I have the filter, but need to know how to depressurize the system so I can change it out. Also, I need to know if there is any special tool I need to attempt to track down in order to accomplish this. The filter may have never been changed on this truck; the last owner said he never has. The truck only has 40,000 miles on it, but I know it needs changed and want to accomplish this feat myself. I know where the filter is located, have the new filter, but need information on depressurizing the system and about the special tool required to get the old one off.
(I know someone has probably asked this question before, but have you seen how many pages there are? A search only located this topic on a "new" F150 and not on an old reliable)
Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a good thread (at least to let you know you're not the only one):

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/oh-boy...y-yikes-62807/

There are a few different types of connectors - you'll need to figure out what's on your truck, then get the right tool.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

I used a flat head screw driver, and just stuck in under the clip, and twisted the screw driver so that the blade went from being flat and slipping under the clip, to lifting the clip up. I never de-pressurized. I'd imagine just take the gas cap off? Don't quote me on that. Even if you don't depressurize, it's not going to spew much gas. When I did it, it only sprayed about a cup of gas. Just put something on the ground to catch it, and when youre under the truck, keep on say, the back side of the filter, and pull the front hose off first, the gas is going to come out of the filter with a little force, and just dribble off the line coming from the engine.

And if it makes you feel better, put a towel over yourself. But for sure, wear some safety glasses or even swimming goggles, you don't want that stuff in your eyes
Old 09-07-2010, 09:07 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

If it has the duck bill clips (which it probably does) then no special tool is required. Just pry out the clips. If it has the spring type clips then you need the release tool. There are several ways to depressurize the system. You can trip the inertia switch, unplug the inertia switch, unplug the fuel tank selector switch, unplug the fuel pump relay, or unhook the power feed to the fuel pump relay. Then you start the truck and run it until it runs out of gas.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Seems like a lot of work to me hahaah
Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 AM

Thumbs up Thx

Originally Posted by aliens8mycow
This is a good thread (at least to let you know you're not the only one):

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/oh-boy...y-yikes-62807/

There are a few different types of connectors - you'll need to figure out what's on your truck, then get the right tool.
Thx, Ill take a look at it. Least it int a brand new truck....
Old 09-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Are my eyes red?

you can also depressurize by pushing in the nipple on the rail where you'd check your pressure. you'll still have some fuel in the line but it wont be pressurized. dribbling fuel is easier to keep out of your eyes than spraying fuel IMO.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:08 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Yep, forgot about that one and that's how I always do it.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:13 PM

Thumbs up Complete

I changed the filter today... I did not depressurize the system and there was really no pressure on the line. Very little fuel was lost in the process and the filter did not have the "special" clips on it. There was just a bracket holding it in place. Took all of 5 mins ta change it out. There was a good amount of black that came out of the old filter, so I am assuming it was long overdue for a change. But it is changed and has a brand new filter. I can tell the difference in power now that it is changed.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ok:
-removed fuel pump fuse
-opened gas caps
-started engine till it stalls out
-disconnected ground on battery
... i go to pull off the back end of the fuel filter (seems to be coming off the easiest) and fuel is spraying everywhere! do i just let this spray all over? does it eventually stop or calm down? i'm afraid to pull it completely off because it seems very pressurized still... what the heck am I missing here? I'm gonna go back and stare at this a little more. if you light a match in my garage right now my house would explode.

thanks-
Matt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel filter change