Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

I need some distributer help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 11:18 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default I need some distributer help.

So I'm trying to fix a CM code 211 code .I found an old TSB (from Steve83) about shorted PIP/SPOUT wires near the ECM connection but that looks good. I replaced the ICM on the fender and now I want to replace the distributer/PIP.

Problem is, everything that comes up for my year model (94 F150, 5.8l) has cast gears and from what I can tell I think I have a roller cam engine which needs steel gears. The block casting number and the year point in that direction. This is the one I pulled out, do these look like steel gears, or cast?

Last edited by VickMacky; 01-05-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:19 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

If I get a distributer for a 96 year model 5.8l they come with steel gears.

ETA: And I know I'll be asked what testing I did to come to the conclusion these parts need to be replaced. Honestly, I don't have a test light or a multimeter but I did do a LOT of reading on various board, and watched some YouTube videos (including a good one from ScannerDanner) and I think it's a safe bet it's only a few things it could be. If replacing the ICM and Distributer/PIP doesn't fix the issue I'll just take it to a mechanic to do proper electrical testing.

Last edited by VickMacky; 01-05-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:16 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

I'm not good at telling the cast vs. not but I can tell you that there is a 99.9% chance you do not have a roller cam. The block is probably a roller compatible block (F4TE castings), but ford did not actually put roller cams in 351's until either late 95 or 96.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:25 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Put your truck info into your signature, and stop replacing parts. Click these, & read the captions:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

A multimeter is a LOT cheaper than a distributor (especially a distributor you DON'T need), and in the time you spent watching videos of other people's other problems on other trucks, you could have learned how to use the meter well-enough to diagnose YOUR truck's problem.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:43 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That looks to me like a steel gear.
They're both steel of course but a cast gear will have casting on the parts that aren't machined; they cast the piece then machine the important parts.
The one they use for a roller cam is completely machined so there's no rough casting marks on the parts that aren't machined, if you follow that.
if you put the 2 side by side it becomes really obvious.
So just from your picture it looks to me like it's a machined gear (no roughness up near that split pin). Sort of indicates a roller cam - if it's factory.
You didn't usually find that in 94 351 motors, especially not F150 motors; although the block was usually r/c compatible.
You don't really know what you've got there - did someone change the motor ? did someone change the cam ? did someone change the distributor ?
My thought would be keep the distributor you've got, because it obviously matches whatever cam you've got. Put a new PIP in it and stuff it back in.
Just my .02 c

Quick Reply: I need some distributer help.