Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

how hard is it?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard is it?????

I have a 90 f150 custom with a 5.0 V8. I was wondering how hard it would be to swap the alternator from the stock 2 plug to a 1 wire? Also does any one know what could be draining the battery and should the alternator be charging at 14.20 volts?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No idea about the alternator swap, but charging in the area of 14 volts is normal on most vehicles, my 95 charges in that range.
As far as draining the battery, check your terminals, post and battery wires. Look out for loose connections, corosion (easily remedied via Coca-cola) or bad grounds. Also, if you don't have a sealed battery, check the cells and make sure your cell caps are tight. Sometimes water/battery acid will seep out causing sort of a cross charge if you will? Dunno how to explan it, but short version, water on top of your battery equals drain. Of course, first step would be to make sure no courtesy lights, dome lights, etc, etc are staying on. That's all that comes to mind, but I'm sure the smarter people here can be more help
Mind you, this is just what I've been taught oer the years under the shade tree
One last thing would be your alternator going out, I don't know the technical aspects, but bad alt kills batteries, ask me how I know, lol.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:18 AM
IJK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have the cell caps on your battery take them off and look inside and make sure that every cell has about the same amount of water in it, if not fill her em up equally with distilled water, put clean off you terminals and the top of the battery cause even dirt can make the battery lose a charge make sure your battery leads are tight and other than that everything bibo said is what i know sorry dont know about the alternator swap though

Quick Reply: how hard is it?????