Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Header studs or bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:15 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Header studs or bolts

I'm about to replace the junk gaskets that came with my headers with a set or aluminum gaskets. While I'm in there I was thinking of dumping the supplied bolts for studs and nuts. The theory being nuts will hold better than bolts. Anyone have any experience with this ? I don't really want to spend $60+ on locking bolts for my driver.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

My feeling is that nuts would be better because the thread is accessable later on.

If the nut seizes due to the heat all you have to do is heat it with a torch and feed in some paraffin to free it up.

If a bolt seizes in the head you're in a pickle.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:34 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by LobstahClaw
My feeling is that nuts would be better because the thread is accessable later on.

If the nut seizes due to the heat all you have to do is heat it with a torch and feed in some paraffin to free it up.

If a bolt seizes in the head you're in a pickle.
Yeah at the moment I'm having just the opposite problem. They keep coming loose. I was thinking about it and now I'm not sure I can access the nuts on all the studs past the pipes. I might have to try a combination of the 2.

Quick Reply: Header studs or bolts