Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

fuse box question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuse box question

I blew a fuse to my radio so I replaced it. While in the fuse box I decided to check the other fuses. It was a mess. 10 amp fuse where a 5 goes and other mistakes. I corrected them all and found a wire with a piece of metal jammed in it next to the turn signal fuse. I had no idea what it was so I moved it. I went to start my truck and nothing. I had power but not even any clicking noise. I put the metal strip back where it was and vroom, it started right up. So I know it supplies power to the ignition but my question is= what the heck is it and where should it go?
Attached Thumbnails fuse box question-fuse-box.jpg  
Old 10-26-2013, 10:25 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like it is an ignition bypass / anti theft that someone rigged up.
The connector / wire is hard to see in the picture can you give us the year / model and the wire color. Might be able to look in the manual and figure out where it is supposed to be connected.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck is the base model 1985 4wd short bed 4 speed manual trans with no a/c. the wires are red/blue and red/white.
Attached Thumbnails fuse box question-fuse-wire.jpg  
Old 10-27-2013, 10:04 PM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

R/LB wire gives power to the relay to turn over the starter through the neutral safety switch. Not sure about the R/W wire I can't find them on my diagram for the starting circuit.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Probably goes to the clutch safety switch can you crank it without the clutch being depressed?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:14 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

+1 starting system wiring schematic shows the R/LB wire coming from the Ignition Switch (top side of steering column) through the
Clutch Interlock Switch (behind LH side of instrument panel)
to the Starter Relay (LH side or engine compartment, top of wheel well)

I'm guessing the clutch interlock switch was bypassed by bridging this connector. as Nitehawkjr asked - can you crank the truck without the clutch pedal depressed?

Quick Reply: fuse box question