Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Fuel Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fuel Pumps

Thinking of replacing both my in tank fuel pumps this spring, just because. Going to be doing major body work, the rear tank needs replaced due to it used to leak. I fixed it, patched it with jbweld, and has held for 2 years, but the truck IS 18 years old, almost 257,000 miles, original pumps, just think its time. Going to be bringing the girl back to life and replacing anything that may be getting old and tired. Anyway, my question is.. I know that Delphi makes really good fuel pumps, but I also see there are cheaper ones. O'reilly's has Delphi and they also have Air Tex. Does anyone have any experience with these or any other brands that are cheaper than the Delphi? I dont really want or need to skimp on price in turn for quality, but if one is just as good as the other, may as well save a few bucks and put it towards something else. So if anyone has experience with different pump brands, please reply. Good or bad, very interested here. Thanks everyone!!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO don't touch original pumps as long as they work. Motorcraft made them really good. Mine went bad 3 years ago, and I'm expiriencing troubles with new "made in China" stuff since then. They last for about a year, but I must say a few bad words about local fuel quality.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both fuel pumps have been replaced on my 92 model...easier to pull the bed than drop the tank....last couple times they were replaced were with oriellys brand pumps I believe they were borgwarners I have had horrible issues with inconsistant pressure and fuel backfilling the wrong tank cause the check valves failed in the assemblies....but they have warrenties so I kept replacing the pumps
Old 01-23-2012, 09:23 AM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

I replaced my in tank with Federal Mogul because they were made in the USA and they went bad in a month. The Airtex are in there now, so far no problems. I keep reading good things about Walbro pumps. I guess the best is the Motorcraft. Probably would have saved myself alot of time,trouble and money if I would have just gotten them in the first place.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:52 PM

The biggest problem with motorcraft is that.(at least back in the day) they had no warranties at all...not even ninety days....and yes walbros are good pumps even if you don't own a lightning....not any more expensive than airtex or anyone else
Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Big Rig Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

walbro 255lph in tanks and get rid of the inline pump.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What about Delphi? I always thought they were one of the best?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 AM

Delphis are good too....a walbro 255lph pump is overkill for most everyone here walbro makes an assortment of flow sizes....but unless you have a modded lightning or some custom turbo set-up 255 is overkill I ran one in a second gen awd eclipse I had back in the day and one in my 97 4.6 gt modded and with both around 400 hp I never once starved for fuel just my .02

Quick Reply: Fuel Pumps