Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Front Hub Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Question Front Hub Clicking

Well it seems my drivers side front hub is clicking while i drive down the road...Being partially deaf my friend pointed it out to me today.

I jacked it up and spun the tire. It is clicking the faster it spins the faster it gets. its metal on metal. there's shavings inside the hub assembly but cannot see whats rubbing or catching on if anything. everything's there and good shape. and i cant find any marks or cuts on anything inside the hub.
recently my lower ball joint went on my truck so im thinking i might have bent the axle slightly driving on it?

has anyone had this similar issue?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Might have to pull the cap assembly (do you have manual or auto hubs?) to inspect the cap assembly, body and the axle ---pretty easy to do by removing the six socket head capscrews to pull the cap assembly. Hopefully it's just the cap assembly or the lock ring, etc..........all quick remove and replace items......Warn, Ford, etc.......
Old 03-10-2014, 10:55 PM
lost my Car again...

Alredy did. and Manual locking hubs, and there the OEM stock ones. theres metal flakes inside. from what i can see all the parts are there and i cannot see any ware. I did notice the drivers side does not click into the lock position like the passengerside does. I just relized the issue today thanks to my friend who has better hearing then me haha
Old 03-10-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

May have to go a little further back now --- look at the spindle and its associated cone and roller bearings....
Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 PM
lost my Car again...

yeah I have a bad feeling that im going to need an entire assembly. Not even sure if the aftermarket hubs would come with the metal parts.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:59 PM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

Even lf you needed a new spindle, bearings, races, hubs and lockouts. If you get them from the jy the cost wouldn't be overwhelming.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:59 AM
lost my Car again...

Originally Posted by 5Rangers
Even lf you needed a new spindle, bearings, races, hubs and lockouts. If you get them from the jy the cost wouldn't be overwhelming.
the thing i dont want to replace is the axle, and the work involved as well. Its my DD. and i need to drive it my other truck has the power steering system removed. and of course it had to snow out AGAIN!
thanks for the ideas.

Would it be a possibility the hubs warn out enough to make the center locking ring to protruded out farther then it should causing it to catch slightly on the axle?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 AM
Country Boy

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your axle is like mine (D44 TTB) what I did was take the hub locks out from both hubs, made sure the wheel bearing preload AND lock nuts were torqued to spec, and went for a quick drive down the road and back.

No noise = problem with one of the hub locks.
Still making noise = problem with bearings/races.

EDIT: make sure you didn't bend one of the brake shields... I've had one make a racket before. That doesn't take care of the metal shavings in your hub though...

Last edited by dixie460; 03-11-2014 at 09:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TheCollector (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 AM
lost my Car again...

its a dana 44 and my truck has no break sheilds anymore lol rust has taken care of them. ive had issues with those. The big problem is Im not able to hear it inside the cab even with the window down. ill see if my friends not busy so they can tell me if its clicking or not with the hub engaged.

Quick Reply: Front Hub Clicking