Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Finally got to the transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Finally got to the transmission

So I took my 93 5.8 to Las Vegas from Flagstaff almost a year ago. While there I experienced a lot of transmission problems. It started slipping really bad and shifting hard. So I finally got to the point of pulling it and sending it to get rebuilt. $1250 and two weeks later, it drives perfectly... I did manage to break a manifold stud the first time I pulled the trans and this time I managed to strip the threads off the other stud on the same side. I have it together all the way and definitely will be doing exhaust work in a few months time (tax returns). Right now it has a horrible exhaust leak, its being held by a couple of hose clamps.. Does anyone know a better way to seal the leak for the time being? I will need to drive this truck across Tucson twice a day until I can get the exhaust work done.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:26 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Depends on where the leak is, muffler cement, clamps, and a soda pop can will let you limp it through if it's in a straight length of pipe.

They also have muffler wrap tape that you could try on bends but I've never used it.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:47 PM

I was thinking the wrap as well. Possibly the muffler weld gunk... But the last time I used that putty, it blew out almost instantly. The leak is where the manifold and rest of the exhaust come together. Both studs from the manifold are useless on that side. And to think I've put so much work into this truck... I've spent upwards of $3000 minus the trans in the past year. All of the work myself so that's only price in parts.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:24 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

I just drilled the studs out and put a piece of threaded rod right through with nuts on both sides. Works perfect. $5.00.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I tried the exhaust wrap once on my TDI just before the cat. Once the exhaust is hot you stick the wrap on since the heat activates the glue. Problem I had was once I started the car again and the exhaust heated up the glue and got sticky again and would unravel/fall off.

Needless to say I wouldn't recommend the exhaust wrap, I planned on using it as a temporary fix and it didn't last at all.

Last edited by 94FordI6; 12-31-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:24 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I bought an '89 Mustang at a dealer auction back in the mid '90's. My dad ran a little used car lot for a few years. I thought I got a great deal on it, because it was in perfect condition, inside and out and it had low miles. After purchasing it (I just happened to see it come through the auction and didn't have time to check it out first) I drove it around the lot just to see what I had bought. It had a horrible knock coming from the motor. I figured oh well, still not a bad deal, but I wasn't looking forward to a new motor/rebuild. Got it home and did some looking. Found one of the manifold studs broken off. To stop the noise, someone had taken a pair of vice grips and clamped it shut. While driving, the end of those vice grips was hitting something, and it would get louder with more torque on the motor. I took it to a local garage. They put a new stud in for $6 and handed me a nice new pair of vice grips, lol!

Forgot to add...I still have the vice grips!

Anyway, just a story that came to mind, lol! Should be a cheap fix. Just take it somewhere if you don't feel like tackling it.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by broncojunkie
I bought an '89 Mustang at a dealer auction back in the mid '90's. My dad ran a little used car lot for a few years. I thought I got a great deal on it, because it was in perfect condition, inside and out and it had low miles. After purchasing it (I just happened to see it come through the auction and didn't have time to check it out first) I drove it around the lot just to see what I had bought. It had a horrible knock coming from the motor. I figured oh well, still not a bad deal, but I wasn't looking forward to a new motor/rebuild. Got it home and did some looking. Found one of the manifold studs broken off. To stop the noise, someone had taken a pair of vice grips and clamped it shut. While driving, the end of those vice grips was hitting something, and it would get louder with more torque on the motor. I took it to a local garage. They put a new stud in for $6 and handed me a nice new pair of vice grips, lol!

Forgot to add...I still have the vice grips!

Anyway, just a story that came to mind, lol! Should be a cheap fix. Just take it somewhere if you don't feel like tackling it.
I'm thinking next paycheck seeing if someone will do all the little tedious things for me at one of the shops near my work.

Quick Reply: Finally got to the transmission