Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

So just a couple of questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default So just a couple of questions..

I went to pick my truck up today (I didn't have the extra body to drive when I finished the trans) and had a couple of problems. When going to start it, my key broke off in the ignition. I got the cylinder out and the key, does anyone know what places can cut a broken key? I need it for my doors. Secondly, after turning it over, nothing. I left it on and jumped the solenoid under the hood. Now I'm down to either solenoid or ignition switch. How can I test the solenoid to see if I have to replace it or the switch?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:47 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

When you jumped your solenoid if you arced the small TERMINAL with the slip on wire to the large terminal containing the cable coming off the battery, and the engine spun over the solenoid is good. However if you arced the two large terminals together, you will need to test the solenoid as I explained in the first sentence.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:57 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

If you take the new ignition key and your old key to a good locksmith (not just a key-cutting place), he can cut you a new key that will fit your original door locks and your new ignition.
About 4 of the bumps on the end are for the ign, the rest are for the door.
If you unbolt your ign. switch from the column, you can move it manually to see if it works. You may have broken something inside the column.
I'm just assuming 92 to 96 - you didn't say what your truck is.
And testing the solenoid is like 88xlt said.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_1
If you take the new ignition key and your old key to a good locksmith (not just a key-cutting place), he can cut you a new key that will fit your original door locks and your new ignition.
About 4 of the bumps on the end are for the ign, the rest are for the door.
If you unbolt your ign. switch from the column, you can move it manually to see if it works. You may have broken something inside the column.
I'm just assuming 92 to 96 - you didn't say what your truck is.
And testing the solenoid is like 88xlt said.
Yes its a 93. I did not know that. So basically I can use the old key to cut the door key onto my new ignition key? I've never thought about that. Either tonight after work or tomorrow I'll test that solenoid. If it ends up being the switch, I need to pull my column apart anyway.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:08 PM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Another way, if you don't want to pay for a locksmith to cut the key, is to have one side cut for your doors and the flip side cut for the ignition. This can be done at any key cutting place, I can't verify this from personal experience but have been told by a few people that it works, it's only $2 to try it, just notch one side of the head of the key so you know which side is door and which side is ignition.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fltdriver
Another way, if you don't want to pay for a locksmith to cut the key, is to have one side cut for your doors and the flip side cut for the ignition. This can be done at any key cutting place, I can't verify this from personal experience but have been told by a few people that it works, it's only $2 to try it, just notch one side of the head of the key so you know which side is door and which side is ignition.
Wow! Learn something new every day!
Old 01-03-2015, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by fltdriver
I forgot I had this idea with my old truck. I definitely will probably end up doing this and having the spare separate.

Quick Reply: So just a couple of questions..