Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

failed inspection

Old 03-28-2014, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default failed inspection

It's 1996 I6 2wd california emission but I am in NJ. About 100,000 and oxygen sensors replaced by a mechanic more than 8 years ago.
I just failed inspections because these are "not ready": oxygen sensor, oxygen sensor-heated, secondary air injection and catalytic converters.
I am using Innova 3030, basic obd2 scan tool, and it shows about the same results.
I did 2 drive cycles. First, closely following ford instruction and about 100 miles. When home, immediately scanned with key off and got green light. Next morning, same "not ready". So I cleared the memory with the scan tool (newbie mistake) and did a second drive cycle for about 90 miles, unable to follow the instruction, but "not ready" at the inspection station. Scan tool shows the same.
So what do I have?
1. RAM but faulty ROM? Continuous monitored sensors such as misfire or knock are working and passed.
2. I assume ECU power and ground are ok, since misfire/knock shows up.
3. Do the drive cycles again, following the instruction? Do it for at least 3 times?
4. Is 100 miles the norm? The first drive cycle, I was done in about 30 miles.
Thank you in advance.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:31 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Oxygen sensors wear... should be replaced Bi-Annually at the maximum... and yearly minimum...

The not ready is telling you the heating part in the sensor is not working as it should...
Old 03-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Use live data on scanner to verify the ect sensor works properly. Faulty ect reading low and truck won't enter closed loop.

If ect checks out some early obb11 will reset each time the vehicle is shut off. Do the drive cycles but confirm ready status before shutting the truck off. If this is the problem see if test station will test without verifying the light works directly prior to testing. The truck must be shut off to do this.

Dr is correct on forward O2 sensors as they can get to be slow responding but still function and not set a cel.

Good luck
Old 03-29-2014, 05:04 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts

You could also be loosing memory power. I don't remember the constant wire off hand but check a schematic, alldata or Google and make sure your memory wire is hot. Are you getting any other codes?
Old 03-29-2014, 12:01 PM

Default emission fail

Thank you for the reply.
1. will change the oxygen sensors. Have the set and meant to change them. But the scanner (basic and cheap) did give a green light after first drive cycle (little over 100 miles). Why didn't the computer remember it? Do I have to do more drive cycles (some articles suggest this, although it is if I have some problems). Ford drive cycle instruction seems to suggest that cycle can be done within 40 miles, but the guy doing the inspection just told me to do 100 - this seems to point to faulty sensor.
2. ECT was changed not many years ago, less than 5. The dash gauge is more or less on N on normal, with 185 degree coolant thermostat and 2 row radiator. Are the thermostat and the radiator keeping the temperatures too low? The drive cycle day was also cold, windy. But will change the ect sensor anyway. Autozones around here don't have better scanners to borrow. Just changing the temp sensor is probably the same cost as having the mechanic with advanced scanner check the car.
3. will check power to memory. I will be starting blind with the ECU. Will see if Haynes says anything about it and will search. In this case, is it worth going to the dealer (assuming they have the best kind of scanner) to scan for the health of the ecu? Thinking it out, no scanner will give a code where there is no power to the memory, but thought I'd ask anyway.
4. I have passed the inspections until 2 years ago. Same maintenance practice on my end, and same inspection process. So I am guessing this truck has memory that stays even after the key off. I didn't even know about drive cycles, ecu and KAM until failed inspection this time. On my first drive cycle, my scanner gave a green light, immediately after key off (down stream oxygen sensor and catalytic converter still hot), but next morning it was back to "not ready" yellow light. This is what made me think, and after finding a post about similar case, that my ecu may have lost KAM (ROM vs RAM).
Before another inspection, I will do:
1. change oxygen sensors
2. change ect
3. see if I can diagnose the ecu power/ground myself, otherwise, let a mechanic do it.
4. do the drive cycle without! erasing the data.
Thank you again for the help.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:26 PM

Default inspection

Just found the ect is not the sender to the gauge. But still, is the 185 thermostat and 2 row radiator keeping the engine too cool?
Did find motorcraft sensor on amazon and ordered but no photo. The amazon fit finder says will fit. But there seems to be at least two different sensors with same number DY1144. One is cone shape sensor and another is rod shaped. The connector may be round or rectangular but unable to confirm from the photos. Mine is rectangle. The original sensor tip was cone shaped and replaced with same shape sensor from autozone.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Martin

Since you were able to get all the systems to ready recently the ect and O2's are definitely working correctly. Won't hurt to replace them but won't help in fixing the problem. It's definitely the ecu not holding memory for whatever reason.

Sounds like you could use a scanner. A good cheap scanner is an elm327 about $25 for the blue tooth version off Amazon, it's works with your smart phone. If you have an iphone you'll need a wifi version that runs a bit more.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:14 PM

Default inspection

Thank you for the reply. So far, I went at it all wrong. First drive cycle then erasing the data, then second cycle, not following the instruction, although 90 miles and mix of highway and town.
I'll try the cycles again, at least with new oxygen and coolant temp sensors. What adds to the confusion is neither the inspection nor my scanner is throwing any codes.
If KAM is faulty, shouldn't there be more sensor readings showing "not ready"?
On my 1996 4.9L 2wd xl with a/c, what readings are under KAM, only the o2 sensors, catalyst and secondary air injection? Only these show up on inspection and on my scanner (innova 3030 basic).
Again, thank you in advance.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:33 PM
Martin

Usually a reset brings up five not ready. Should also have egr and evap. Strange thing is evap should be the last sensor to go ready.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:29 PM

Default inspection

Thank you for staying on. Reading up some more, I've found:
1. non continuous monitors - 02 sensors, catalyst, secondary air injection, EGR.
my truck - EGR is ready. This gives hope that ECM is functioning and I need to look at the sensors first.
a/c, EVAP and heated catalyst are not supported in my truck.

2. A poster said o2 sensor monitor will not start until ect, iat, maf and crankshaft position sensors are ok and reporting. I'll also check these. Coolant sensor I'll change. IAT (intake air bypass?) is fairly new but will check. MAF will be cleaned and diagnosed. I'm not sure what CKP (crankshaft sensor) is, but will check first if I have one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: failed inspection