Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Drive like you stole it

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Exhaust

Hello,
I am new here and for a good reason! I am hoping somebody out there can help with my dilemma. I roll a 92' F-150 with the 351W. The exhaust is rusted and blown out where the "Y" pipe connects to the manifolds. This truck is just a beater that I use for home/yard work and to get to work when we get dumped on with snow so I do not want to hot rod it out or spend a large amount of cash, I just want to fix the leak. I am able to source the manifolds from several different parts dealers so that is not the problem, I cannot for the life of me find just the "Y" pipe. Does anyone know where I can purchase this? That will be much appreciated!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

you wont find the Y-pipe except from a junkyard probably...

the 351 Y-pipe is different than the 302 just FYI
Old 03-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Drive like you stole it

Really? That is not what I want to hear. Is there any aftermarket options? I am an aircraft mechanic so I like to do my own vehicle maintenance, I just find it hard to believe that I cannot source these parts. I am ok with doing cheap headers with dual exhaust but I haven't found a kit either. I do not need a cat (my state doesn't smog test old vehicles) but I do need to keep the O2 sensor to keep the engine running right. Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Last edited by Rusty but trusty; 03-04-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A good exhaust shop can make the y pipe
Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes you have to have an O2 sensor.. You really have 2 real options.. Junkyard.. Or custom Y-pipe from an exhaust shop..
Old 03-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Drive like you stole it

If I took the y pipe off would an exhaust shop weld on new flanges for me?
Old 03-06-2013, 02:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, here's magnaflow's aftermarket y-pipe w/ hiflow cat.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mp...rd/model/f-150
And YES this is for the 351. What's wrong with buying this? You get your new y-pipe, a better cat, AND it's made from stainless steel so you don't have to worry about rust (I think it's 400 series so it might show some SMALL rust spots).

EDIT: This also has the bung for the single O2 sensor
Old 03-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Drive like you stole it

That will work, I dont know how I did not find that in my searches. NAPA offers something similar, the problem is that there is nothing wrong with my cat and I dont even need it if I dont feel like putting it back on (my state doesnt smog vehicles this old). I would rather not spend $240 on a cat I dont need just to get a $20 chunk of pipe, that is why I posted this thread. Thanks for the reply, I may need to go this route.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know how you feel. $240 is a little steep for me too, but I didn't regret buying it once I got it installed.

That said, the junkyard will be your best bet if you're not willing to spend 200+.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:42 AM
Drive like you stole it

I woke this thread instead of starting a new one. So I finally got around to doing some work on the truck (actually it forced me to.. brake line rusted and the pedal went to the floor) I decided to do the exhaust while I was at it. My question is this, where the Y-pipe mates up to the manifolds is there a gasket or is it just a metal to metal joint? When I took it all apart there was no gasket and the Y-pipe was cracked. I always assumed it needed some sort of gasket in there to absorb vibration? The new Y-pipe/cat i just got did not come with any gaskets. I would rather not put it all together just to crack the new pipe and have the same leak all over again. Thanks in advance for help

Quick Reply: Exhaust