Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Engine Code Location / ECU Vendors

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Code Location / ECU Vendors

*This is part of my ongoing process to solve a HUGE headache with my truck. Thanks for your feedback!

My truck:
1990 F150 Custom /4.9 liter I6 300 motor / 4x4 / Manual 4speed with OD transmission / Long Bed

1. It's been proven that the previous owner installed the wrong ECU in my truck. I'm pretty sure that the right one is #FOTF 12A 650 BB, but I've been told by people on this forum and elsewhere that I can't just match the ECU to the truck specifications or even the VIN number. I'm not sure if that is accurate, but if so, I'm guessing that there must be an ID number on the engine somewhere? I want to be sure that I get the right ECU and not have to play games with vendors, many of which have terrible reviews in regard to returns, sending the wrong part, etc.

2. Regarding vendors for finding a good quality and matching ECU, Fordautocomputers.com and ECMtogo.com both want between $225-255 for a rebuilt non-Ford (after market) ECU. I'm thinking, "that seems high!" Carparts.com seemed a bit more solid, and although they also offer a rebuilt non-Ford (after market) ECU, it was only $101.52 (with me sending in my ECU as a core replacement.) Also, carparts.com was the only vendor who took time to ask me about the truck and if I had an engine number since the VIN and spec's aren't enough to go on. All of those vendors have mostly awful reviews and I don't think I want to do business with either of them. I called NAPA, but they offer an ECU with a different part number (FOTZ 12A 650 BB) and I don't want to waste my time getting the wrong part.

Thoughts and suggestions on where to get an ECU? Are there any decent places to order parts anymore?!

Thanks,
Nabor J
Old 12-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Big Rig Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing is cheap when it comes to the motor and it's ECU unless you like dealing with unlabelled wires and re pinning your box that connects to the ECU you currently have.

Get a diagram of the computer you have and what each pin is and then get one of the one your suppost to have and re pin it. then all the wires will go to the right places for the computer you have.

Thats the cheap route... your computer should be able to compensate for everything else.

I will send the ECU part number you are looking for to a couple of places here in canada and see what comes up as well. Be warned tho I dont think there is a return policy for electronics but if it's cheap enough then you may luck out.

Last edited by smokeshow81; 12-14-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Big Rig Driver

Our best local wrecker:
http://www.pickapart.ca/price_list.php
computers are listed for 30bux...

they have 4 trucks like your right now... I imagine there are more computers tho

Last edited by smokeshow81; 12-14-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:11 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

If it’s the original motor you can take the VIN # and call or go to a Ford service dept. they can tell you what ECU you will need.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nitehawkjr
If it’s the original motor you can take the VIN # and call or go to a Ford service dept. they can tell you what ECU you will need.
Yes, it's the original motor, so I'll call Ford.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by nabor j
Yes, it's the original motor, so I'll call Ford.
I called several Ford Dealerships (parts dept's) and no one could help....everyone said that it was too old of a part to reference. Looks like I'm heading to the pull yard now and hoping to get lucky.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Big Rig Driver

pick a part has what you need... shipped it's under 50bux and they have a 90day warrenty.

Quick Reply: Engine Code Location / ECU Vendors