Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

E4OD Dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default E4OD Dipstick

Do E4OD 2wd and 4x4 transmissions have the same dipstick and fluid fill capacity?

I have a 1992 F150 302 single cab long box with an e4OD transmission. This was a factory 2wd that I converted to 4x4 not long ago.

It has leaked transmission fluid from around the pan gasket since I installed and filled this used 4x4 transmission. I had it filled to between the crosshatch while it was running, in park and a level surface. I have tried 3 different gaskets to no avail.

I currently have a 4r100 pan w/ drain plug and the proper reusable gasket to go along with that pan.

Where it gets interesting; the leak seems to have stopped but the catch it the dipstick shows no fluid on it. However the truck drives fine, shifts smooth and does not slip despite the dipstick reading no fluid.

I'm wondering if when I swapped in the 4x4 trans I used the 2wd dipstick by mistake?
And if a 2wd dipstick is shorter I would be overfilling the 4x4 trans causing it to leak and explaining why it shifts fine even though this dipstick reads no fluid.

Also could the dipstick be bent causing it to rub on the tube when I pull it out to read causing the fluid to be wiped off resulting in no fluid to read?
Old 04-11-2019, 11:35 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by 92f150xl
Do E4OD 2wd and 4x4 transmissions have the same dipstick and fluid fill capacity?
Yes, no, and depends on the year.

For a given YEAR and application (trucks or vans), the E4OD dipstick & tube is always the same. But it changed over the years, and vans always got different ones from pickups/Broncos. Fluid capacity varies because 4WDs use a different tailhousing that holds more fluid. And because some trucks & vans have HD cooling, which includes a larger ATF cooler, whose size varied by year & application.
It has leaked transmission fluid from around the pan gasket...
Fluid always collects there regardless where it leaks from. Even if there's a hole punched in the bottom rear of the pan, the fluid will blow back & up as you drive, causing it to wick into the groove of the gasket, and run all the way to the front when you hit the brakes or park nose-down. So just seeing fluid all over the gasket does NOT mean the gasket is the problem. You've proved that by changing it so many times without fixing anything. Now that the fluid is low, remove the bellhousing bolt that holds the upper tube down, and pop it out of the lower tube (the part that's pressed into the trans housing, and can't come out). If fluid is high in the lower tube (be prepared for it to spill), you'll need to remove more somehow so that the lower tube can be cleaned & dried inside at least an inch below where the O-ring goes. Then install a new O-ring on it, dry off ALL the fluid (brake cleaner does a good job), apply some sealant (silicone, RightStuff, E6000, etc.) just ABOVE the o-ring, and reassemble it. After the sealant has dried thoroughly, top up the trans, and then BEFORE DRIVING, crawl back under the truck with a good light and watch the base of the tube for ~15 minutes.
However the truck drives fine, shifts smooth and does not slip despite the dipstick reading no fluid.
There's a LARGE reserve capacity designed into the system. The dipstick being dry does NOT mean the trans is anywhere near dry. It might take 1.5 qts to go from nothing on the dipstick to "FULL". But the trans holds ~13 qts. It will probably still work (but be damaged rapidly) with only 9 qts - maybe even less.
Also could the dipstick be bent causing it to rub on the tube when I pull it out to read causing the fluid to be wiped off resulting in no fluid to read?
No, it always rubs the tube, and the opposite happens. Every time you pull a wet dipstick out, it trails fluid all the way up the tube (ATF, engine oil, or any other). If you then put the dipstick back in to check the level, fluid from all the way up the tube can be transferred back onto the dipstick far above the actual level, making it appear OVER-full. To get an accurate reading, you should LEAVE the dipstick out long enough for that fluid to run back down, so the tube is nearly-dry inside when the dipstick goes back in.

If it comes out dry, the level is certainly low.

Last edited by Steve83; 04-11-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:38 PM

Thank you for your insight and advice Steve.

I bought the used transmission already pulled out but I'm fairly certain it is from a 1992 F150 same as what I have only difference was I believe the donor truck was a short box.

What do you mean by splitting the dipstick tube into 2? My dipstick tube looks as if it's all one piece that press fits into the trans front right corner and than further up the tube secured by one bell housing bolt.

I wire brushed and painted the trans a grey colour before install so It's clean/ would be easy to spot red fluid against the grey and I don't see any fluid trails anywhere, only what appears to be large seepage around the pan gasket in 2 places for sure.
But you're right 3 gaskets should've solved something. After gasket 2 I made sure with a framing square the bottom of the trans and pan are flat and true but still a leak.
I know I have 2 striped tranny pan bolts but the are on the long side and the leaks appear to be front corner and rear corner where the L shape of the pan is.
I should pull the pan off and install heeli coils to fix those 2 bolts and probably will do that.

On a side note I heard of a clip you can buy to keep the tranny filter from falling off. Anyone have any experience with this clip?
If it's a good product I will install it when the pan is off to do those heli coils.

I also measured the dipstick I have for my truck. In the pictures you can see where I measured from.
Can anyone with an 1992 pickup truck E4OD 4x4 tell me if 25.25" is the correct length of dipstick?
Old 04-14-2019, 01:49 AM

What do you mean by splitting the dipstick tube into 2? My dipstick tube looks as if it's all one piece that press fits into the trans front right corner and than further up the tube secured by one bell housing bolt.
It's not very easy to spot in this pic, but there's a seam at the bottom Left end of the tube where it's split. The long upper section has a strap bolted to the bellhousing. The short lower section is pressed & sealed into the trans case.

(phone app link)

Post pics of yours.
http://www.supermotors.net/forums/th...-and-or-videos
...easy to spot red fluid against the grey and I don't see any fluid trails anywhere...
ATF isn't thick or opaque like paint - it's very thin, so its color disappears when the fluid is just a film on a surface. And fresh shiny paint will easily hide the wet trail of fluid. Try tying white string around the tube, or putting chalk powder (like the refill for a chalk line) on the trans case.
In the pictures...
What pictures?
...tell me if 25.25" is the correct length of dipstick?
Any dipstick length can be "correct" if it matches the TUBE. They're a pair. Early tubes are short, putting the dipstick's handle down behind the plenum. Later (possibly ~94), the tube & stick were lengthened as that pic shows to put the handle where it's easier to see & reach.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:55 AM

I think I see what you're talking about now with the lower tube. The lower tube is short maybe only a few inches right?

The string idea is very good. I will look into that. I also believe I have some chalk powder handy to try that trick as well. Both very great ideas I never would've thought of. Thank you.

I guess the photos I meant to upload for the last post didn't show. I can not access my photos through the app now to upload them. I am using the mobile app. Not sure what's happening with that. I will try again later.

I want to say I used the tube and dipstick that came with the used 4x4 trans but it's possible I could've mixed them up.
Right now I have the tube that is shorter and tucked down below the plenum. And the dipstick has a white top and 25.25" in length. Not like the picture you posted.
Both transmissions had the dipstick with the white top. Not the yellow plastic like from the photo you posted.

Last edited by 92f150xl; 04-14-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:54 AM

Hopefully the pictures show up.
First is of the filter clip I am thinking of trying out.
Second 2 are of my current dipstick
Attached Thumbnails E4OD Dipstick-photo818.jpg   E4OD Dipstick-photo436.jpg   E4OD Dipstick-photo72.jpg  
Old 05-02-2019, 09:26 PM

Ok, so I have done some thorough checks and fluid is in fact leaking at the dipstick tube.

What is my next move?

I see what you are saying about the lower dipstick tube (approx 4" long) and upper dipstick tube(the one held by bell housing bolt).

It seems to be leaking where the lower dipstick tube goes into the trans case.

The seem where the upper dipstick slides into the lower dipstick is bone dry.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:21 AM

It seems to be leaking where the lower dipstick tube goes into the trans case.
That will be difficult to seal while the trans is full of fluid and the truck is level. If you want to try to DIY, either remove some fluid, or (not nearly as safe or easy) tilt the truck. Once the leak is dry (use brake cleaner, etc.), apply something that will seal it - maybe JBWeld, E6000, silicone...

Last edited by Steve83; 05-03-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:36 PM

I have a pan with drain plug so I can drain the fluid without much trouble.

I have some red rtv gasket maker here or I've been wanting to try permatex 'the right stuff'.
I hear it can be returned to service with little to no cure time.

From what I read online that short dipstick tube is pressed into the trans case and does not come out.
So I don't think there is much sense in pulling the bell housing bolt and upper dipstick tube.
Your Thoughts?

Just draining the fluid to prevent further leaking and cleaning the area really well and applying some sort of gasket maker would be how you would tackle this Steve? Leaving the trans and crossmember bolted in their place
Old 05-03-2019, 06:26 PM

Neither of those is correct for ATF. Red silicone is high-temperature, and RightStuff is porous in thin sections. It would be more-appropriate between the tube sections. But since the lower tube can't be removed (easily), I'd use something thicker, like the ones I listed. The red silicone might work, but I'd use regular.

No, the upper tube doesn't need to come off to seal that location. Yes, I'd siphon the fluid out through the dipstick tube so it could be re-used after the sealant has cured.

Quick Reply: E4OD Dipstick