Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Driveshaft Length Differences

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 01:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Driveshaft Length Differences

I am turning my 95 F150 into a 4x4. Pretty much have everything I need except for driveshafts. I need to know how many different ones there are. I know I need to get one from the same wheel base. I have a standard cab/long bed. Is there any other styles with the same wheel base? Does the front driveshaft length depend on the wheelbase? Next is the engine/trans combo. Does the engine even make a difference? I am running a 4.9 and mazda 5 speed. Will they have to come from the same combo?

The only reason I am asking here and not checking junkyards is because I work 7 days a week and never have time to go, lol.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:00 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

I used an extended cab shortbed driveshaft in my regular cab longbed, but mine's 2wd. 4.9, 5.0 and 5.8 have the same bellhousing bolt pattern.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Front driveshaft length is always the same because the transfer case is in the same place in relation to the front diff. You can keep your motor but the trans usually has a different tailshaft for 4x4. You need the rear d/shaft to be from the same wheelbase truck. Should be 133" - that'll be marked on the sticker on the driver's doorpost. Make sure the transfer case has the same setup as your trans regarding speed sensor versus speedo cable. A manual shift transfer case will save a lot of wiring headaches
Old 05-09-2014, 09:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Front driveshaft length is always the same because the transfer case is in the same place in relation to the front diff. You can keep your motor but the trans usually has a different tailshaft for 4x4. You need the rear d/shaft to be from the same wheelbase truck. Should be 133" - that'll be marked on the sticker on the driver's doorpost. Make sure the transfer case has the same setup as your trans regarding speed sensor versus speedo cable. A manual shift transfer case will save a lot of wiring headaches
Pretty much the only other thing I need to know is if I will be ok using one from an auto trans? Need to know if they are the same length. Already have the 4x4 trans and transfer case, so good there. Also going with a manual t case.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I went from a 2wd e4od to the 5 speed with a manual transfercase and I believe I had to shorten it 8" if I remember correctly. I had a hard time finding one with the same configuration, ended up getting one supposedly out of a f-350.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_1
Front driveshafts are different depending on transmission , but the same for wheelbase.
So my 4.9 reg cab shortbed has the same front shaft as Bubbas 5.8 supercab long bed, because both have the e4od. The rear shaft will depend on wheelbase and transmission.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Length Differences