Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Driver door= Perma-vent

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver door= Perma-vent

I've got a '95 5.0L cab and a half. I love the truck and I've always known that the doors are finicky at times but recently it's gotten bad and I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. I just noticed today that my driver door leaves a 1/2" gap when "closed"!!! Everything is latched that I can tell, the door doesn't open no matter what I do outside of using the handle, but it's not truly shut. Hinges are solid, it's not rubbing anywhere... what do I do outside of just adding more rubber seal? haha. The gap is big enough that you can look through it easily at the proper angle.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:01 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Pictures?
Old 10-15-2010, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any specifics to take a picture of? I'll get on it as soon as it's light out.

Took it to a dealer and they offered to replace the door for $240 labor plus whatever they could find a replacement door at (estimated $150)... forget that.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:16 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

From what you are saying it seems like the door closes normally but it doesn't seal. What does the weatherstripping look like? Does the door stick open not even with the body? Why would the dealer want to change it if there's nothing wrong with it? Does it sag?
Old 10-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its kinda sounding like the latch mechanism that closes to the door striker is messed up and maybe thats why dealer wanted to replace door?

Have you tried loosening the strike (mark its current location) and moving it in to descrease gap?

Have you tried taking the door panel off (its not as hard as it seems!) and seeing if theres something disconnected or gummed up from outside handle to latch release?

Maybe all the binding mechanisms need heavy cleaning and regreasing.

Maybe a picture of daylight showing through or door mechanisms?

Also thats a fair price for anything from a dealer, especially with them doing the work. (im guessing the paint won't match?)

Last edited by Somery; 10-15-2010 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Driver door= Perma-vent