Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Couldn't find a mechanic to change my plugs ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Couldn't find a mechanic to change my plugs ...

Okay...so I tried to change the plugs in my 91 4.9 before I took it to a mechanic, but couldn't budge them with my 1/2 in . drive and plug socket, but I am 70 and don't have the muscle or inclination to get all up in or below the engine like I used to...so yes, I looked to my mechanic for help. To my surprise he called me back 15 minutes later and said the plugs were rusted in and he suggested soaking them with PB Blaster for a week and then giving it a try...so I did as instructed... for a month ...I still couldn't budge them. Went to another mech. He wouldn't touch it...suggested picking up a new head at the junkyard... or selling the truck. So...I'm stuck...Then my neighbor at my little getaway up in the woods said he'd have a crack at it. He got a breaker bar on his 1/2 drive and pulled them in about an hour, with no plugs broken, no head damage. Here's the thing...why wouldn't my mechanics here in Newport News tackle this job??
Old 07-26-2016, 11:05 AM
Some guy

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Probably didn't want a plug breaking off and having to handle an irate customer who may not have wanted a head job done, but now needed one. That's my guess. I live just south of you in the Hampton Roads area and most of the mechanics here seem terrified of their customers when the customer actually knows what they're talking about.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Martian,
That's a heck of a note, isn't it? I guess these days, if it doesn't show up on the computer, they can't fix it. Do you have the Triton engine? I see they had a heck of a time with plugs on that engine....threads too short in the head or something?
Old 07-26-2016, 02:25 PM
Some guy

Yes, I have the 5.4L. The issue with the 5.4L wasn't too few threads, that was the 4.6L. The 5.4L's issue was the plug itself. The grounding strap was crimped onto the end of the plug and not welded, so as carbon built up in the head where the plug stuck out, it would get a death grip on the grounding strap of the plug. So, you'd go to pull the plug out and the strap would just break off inside the head. There's a huge debacle about that right now, class action lawsuit and the whole shebang. Luckily I didn't break a single one and did all the work myself for (fairly) cheap.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:41 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Well, here's a thought.

1) Get someone with a 1/2" impact wrench to remove them.

2) Or get your mechanic to use a 25" breaker bar to get them to break. Put a pipe on the end of it for extra leverage. Something has to give.

Also, if it were me, if #1 and #2 didn't work, I'd start the vehicle up, let it get hot and go back to #2.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:50 AM
Some guy

Originally Posted by qdeezie
Well, here's a thought.

1) Get someone with a 1/2" impact wrench to remove them.

2) Or get your mechanic to use a 25" breaker bar to get them to break. Put a pipe on the end of it for extra leverage. Something has to give.

Also, if it were me, if #1 and #2 didn't work, I'd start the vehicle up, let it get hot and go back to #2.
Read the whole thread, mate. He's done already.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:17 PM

Received 241 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Martian
Read the whole thread, mate. He's done already.
The only things he's done is used PB blaster and a breaker bar.

He has not tried an impact wrench nor adding a pipe to the end of the breaker bar for leverage.

I don't see where he's attempted to remove the plugs while the engine is hot either.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:40 PM
Some guy

Once again... He is done. All are replaced.

Quick Reply: Couldn't find a mechanic to change my plugs ...