Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Common problem why horn doesn't work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common problem why horn doesn't work?

My horn hasn't worked in my 95' F150 since I purchased the truck.
Any common problem why it wouldn't work?
Just trying to save me some time.
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-20-2015, 10:10 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Muleskinner
My horn hasn't worked in my 95' F150 since I purchased the truck.
Any common problem why it wouldn't work?
Just trying to save me some time.
Thanks in advance!
Airbag clockspring most likely.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:31 PM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

If you have no horn, no cruise control, and a flashing airbag light, your clockspring is out.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:43 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDTruth
If you have no horn, no cruise control, and a flashing airbag light, your clockspring is out.
This, sometimes the light burns out because people let it go too long, but yeah if your cruise doesn't work either than it's your clock spring.

Simple fix, unplug battery for a couple minutes, leave door open or lights switch on to pull any power out of the system, unscrew air bag bolts on back of steering wheel, pull airbag out and disconnect the connector, use steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel, replace the clock spring, be mindful of not letting the new one spin before you install it as there are ribbon wires in there that will break if it goes too far in either direction, repeat process in reverse to install.

NOTE:
Do not reconnect the battery until clock spring is plugged back in, I made this mistake as I was installing a new stereo and wanted to test it. There is a safety ground tab in the air bag connector that will fry a thermal fuse in the Airbag Diagnostic Module if power is present without the plugs connected. It's a simple fix as well, and cheap, but there are only a few places that sell the thermal fuse in the US and shipping takes a week or more.

Quick Reply: Common problem why horn doesn't work?