Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Check engine light on and unknown alarm under dash going off

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check engine light on and unknown alarm under dash going off

Ok I just got done putting this motor in this 94 f150 xlt , 5.0 302 , new oil pump , new oil pan seal , new timing chain , new timing chain cover , new water pump , new upper intake gasket , new egr gasket , all new injector o-rings , new valve cover seals. Everything is hooked up , nothing leaking. So after like the third or fourth time I started it the check engine light came on , and this unknown alarm started beeping under the dash. It beeps 5 times repeats beeps 5 times repeats ect... Im almost positive none of the vacuum hoses are leaking. Any ideas of what it could be off hand? I havent had a chance to check the codes yet.

Last edited by 94F15090GT; 02-26-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:21 AM

Also in another thread I posted I was saying the ABS fuse was blown not shifting out of park ABS light flashing. I was just reading on another site on 1994 trucks some came with a defective speed control deactivation switch which causes them to catch fire. I wonder if that tone could be some kind of warning or something. It was making that tone before I replaced the fuse though. lol with reading all the peoples stories about them catching on fire Im paranoid now. I wonder if you can just unhook the speed control. It says , Ford found that brake fluid could leak through the cruise deactivation switch into the cruise system's electrical components and cause corrosion. Corrosion can cause a short and keep the cruise control from working, but in some cases it can lead to a higher flow of current that can overheat and cause a fire at the switch.

Or will that mess anything up if you just unhook it?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the speed control switch in question is at the front of the mastercylinder. The recall repair consisted of an inline fuse. if the current draw was too high, it blew the fuse. Does your truck have an airbag?? the module is under the dash. I know with the air bag light flashing on my 94 t-bird, I pulled the bulb because it was annoying,then the module would beep 4 or 5 times about every half hour.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:29 AM

Is the speed control switch on the same fuse as the ABS and everything? If so that might be what blew the fuse. I might just unhook the battery for now , I havent put it on the road yet.

Also with that beeping noise, it is the air bag moduel you are right , the previous owner hit something pretty good with the front bumper and I replaced it. Lol now time to try to figure out why the check engine light is on.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:11 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Ford instructed people to unplug the speed control switch to avoid fires until the truck could be fixed properly.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if they share the same circuit or not. the way ford checked the switch was to unplug it and see if brake fluid was in the plug. If the contacts were wet then the switch was leaking and therefore faulty.

Quick Reply: Check engine light on and unknown alarm under dash going off