Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Can't connect line to slave cylinder!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't connect line to slave cylinder!!

Replaced engine, trans, clutch and slave cylinder but I can't put the line from the master cylinder back into slave cylinder. The slave was replaced and I am using the original line from the master cylinder. I try to push it on and it leaks fluid but I just can't get it on far enought for the locking teeth to engage. I am not being gentle but actually putting a lot of pressure on it.

Am I forgetting something or need a tool to put enough pressure on it? I've never done a hydraulic clutch before (just mechanicals) but never figured it would be this much trouble.

The truck is a 1991 F-150 5.0 with M5OD

Name:  IMG_1203.jpg
Views: 19438
Size:  29.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1204.jpg
Views: 18404
Size:  34.1 KB

Last edited by rscotth; 08-20-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It should be simple. If I remember it right, that white plastic thing on the line fitting should be moved away from the cylinder - it can't be seen clearly on your first picture.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Hampster
It should be simple. If I remember it right, that white plastic thing on the line fitting should be moved away from the cylinder - it can't be seen clearly on your first picture.
Sometimes the O-ring expands while decompressed & exposed to air. Then it doesn't allow the connector to engage. I use the green Buna-N O-rings when replacing.

Hey F/H! Russia's supposed to be enriching an Iranian Nuclear reactor very soon. Is there anything about that on the news where you are? If so, what are they saying? Israel might toast the reactor before that happens like the last time. That time, we helped Israel work out the logistics for the mission. This time, Obama's telling them to stand down.

Last edited by ymeski56; 08-20-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ymeski56, I have no idea how it may ever be related to clutch hydraulics, but anyway - at first they officially say that there's no way for Iran to manufacture military plutonium using that reactor, and second thing they say is that Russian engineers will be in there until that thing's warranty will end. I really have no idea about now long does warranty for a nuclear power station usually last, but anyway I suppose that while there are some other people there but the Iranians, we may not worry about illegal use of that device. More of that - Russia will get all "used" plutonium back for recycling, so there will be no of it left for Iran. But honestly I also have no idea WHY do they really need a nuclear reactor in there...

And for the record - my 16-y.o o-ring never expanded, so i could reconnect the line to a new cylinder with no problem at all.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Are my eyes red?

you should replace o-rings after taking things apart anyway.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

They may have given you the wrong slave cylinder. Did you compare it with the old one? One slave has an aluminum body and one has plastic. The line connection is different.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You might also have to reset the metal retainer in the slave, the thing with the fingers, take it out, bend fingers in a little, make sure solid part of retainer is not bent or dented, make sure it is round, open it up a little so it will snap in place, I had to do this with the old fuel lines all the time, or the parts store might sell the retainers, they do for the fuel lines.

Trending Topics

Old 08-21-2010, 09:50 AM
IRI

Hey guys I just threw up an introduction on the main page, but I am having the same problem getting that darn line to fit in the slave as well. My only difference is its for my brother's ranger with the m5r1. I never had this problem with mine, so its boggling my mind. I will keep checking back to see if you guys have found a way to relieve the headache lol.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:53 PM

Default Slave cylinder hose won't connect to slave cylinder input

Try bleeding the slave. The bleeder valve should be right about the hose connection. Turn it counter clockwise and fluid will pour out enough to allow the hose to snap in. If it is not an OEM slave, it may not fit correctly. The connection on the slave should have teeth in it, not a c-clip, which is a bad design that does not work.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:31 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

It's been four years, he probably got it.
The following users liked this post:
Tick Bryan (06-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Can't connect line to slave cylinder!!