Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Can a heater core be repaired instead of replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a heater core be repaired instead of replaced?

Hello all. I have a leak. I'm leaking coolant from what looks like the heater core, because it's actually dripping down a considerable amount of coolant right onto the floor, and it's dripping right where the heater core is located. I'm in the process of removing the heater core right now. What I'm wondering is: Once I pull out the core, what options do I have of repairing it, instead of replacing it? I've heard the replacement Chinese heater cores may not fit very well. Plus it may be less expensive to just patch a hole in my existing one. But who would I take it to to do a repair like that?
Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

You can try a radiator repair shop but chances are if you have a leak the rest of the metal is junk as well. They just don't make stuff like they used to.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Fortunately on our trucks the core is easy to replace, pity the 97+ guys. When I had to replace the core on my 94 about five years ago, Napa had a HD one that was about 40 bucks versus the 22 dollar one from AZ. The Napa one was very similiar to the original and I try to avoid AZ parts for critical areas.
You could go to a Ford parts counter but I don't know if they still make the original.
regards
rikard
Old 10-04-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

It's normal for a heater **** to have to be replaced after fifteen or twenty years of service. You could try soldering up the leak with 95/5 and plumber's paste.

Thing is ... it's near the end of it's useful service life. You might get it patched and get another leak somewhere else in a month or two.

If you have to do the work of pulling the core you're just as well off to throw in a new one. That way the job is done and you don't have to revisit it later on.

As far as less expensive lower quality parts -vs- more expensive higher quality it all depends on what your future plans are. If you're only going to keep the truck for another year or two you could probably get by with the lower cost option. If you're planning on running it for awhile then a quality part would be the way to go.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:35 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

My $25 AutoZone core works just fine. Not worth trying to fix.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't even waste your time trying to repair the coil. Replace it with one from the local auto parts store and be done with it. Be gentle and take your time and the repair will last for years.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

I've got to pick one up from O'Reilly for $23 with a lifetime warranty for my 94. Easiest removal of a heater core I've ever seen. 15 minutes! My wife will be cussing me being how I've got the new hunting rifle and she hasn't gotten her $23 heater core yet. Guess I know what I'll be doing when I get home from work Monday (right after I bag a few squirrel, Lol) being how the temps are getting down in the 40's. I checked on getting mine repaired at the local radiator repair shop and it was going to cost $30. More than the new one.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Just call me Sean
My $25 AutoZone core works just fine. Not worth trying to fix.
Wow Napa only wants $26 for a heater core! I had no idea they'd be so cheap. The Ford dealer wants $94. I went to Napa today and got a nice, new heater core. I also compared it to my original one: both really look the same, with very small differences: The inlet/outlet pipes seem to be in exactly the same position, the thickness of the two are the same, but the length and width are about a 1/4 inch smaller on the new one from Napa. Tomorrow I'll install it and we'll see how it goes.

***Oh also: my original heater core (the leaking one) seems to have some kind of wax in a couple of different spots. Like yellow, thick goopy blobs of wax. Do you guys think this was from a previous owner trying to repair the heater core?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 PM

Just got done installing the $23 heater core from Napa. It fit really well actually, and no leaks now! Everything's working as it should. Thanks for the help everyone.

Quick Reply: Can a heater core be repaired instead of replaced?