Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

busted leaf spring hanger

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default busted leaf spring hanger

so the leaf spring hanger was pretty rusted and busted before i got a chance to have it replaced. i was wondering how to put the new one on, like how to get the leaf spring shackle to line up in the new hanger. any help on replacing this would be great.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi-Rev Motorsports

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

grind or chisel the hanger rivets off...and then take a center punch or the center punch for the air chisel and pop the rivets out of the frame...

once you get the bolt out of the leaf spring...what I did was put the hanger and shackle on but leave it loose...manipulate the floor jack under the rear axle to get it close...put the leaf spring bolt thru the shackle and then tighten the hanger on the frame...

I did both of mine...Advance Auto carries a kit....I suggest scrapping the bolts in the kit and get the right sized 7/16 bolt in grade 8 at the local hardware....
Old 04-25-2010, 01:24 PM
kRob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well not as bad as what i did, i had a 85 step side dodge i lowered and fixed up nice but as i was doing a douhnut i bust 2 leaf springs lol
Old 04-25-2010, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks dr bowtie, i wasnt sure how to go about getting the leaf spring positioned right and everything to line up.

and damn that sucks. i bet that was fun to fix.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:12 AM

I just emailed ford and td them they should recall the hangers on these trucks and send me free ones. They asked if I had it to a dealership to be diagnosed. I said it didn't take a dealership to see the problem. They said my truck wasn't under warantee and they aren't doing anything about it but I should take it to a dealer. I'll get right on that. If anyones interested, i'll post the emails.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 AM

I just got done doing mine three days ago. Both front and rear hangers and shackle. WOW! What a PITA!. I used a grinder and removed the head on the rivits and I could beat out a couple of them with a framing hamer. The rest needed to be drilled, heated, and then smashed with a hammer to get them out I don't have a air hammer or that's what I WOULD use.
As far as lining up the bolt holes. I used a spud wrench. I have it from my time building bridges. Not really all that hard. The hard part is getting the old leaf spring bushings out and the new ones back in. To get them out I heated the spring with a propane torch till the rubber started melting them poped them out with a hammer. You will need to cut the outer sleeve with a sawzaw or hacksaw cause it will still be left in the spring, then beat it out with a screwdriver and hammer.
Now to the real fun part. Getting the new bushings in. I saw on youtube a guy using allthread, washers, and a impact gun to draw the bushings in. DID NOT work for me. They drew in an inch then would'nt go anymore. So I let them sit for a couple of days while I cooled off.
Then I went at it with a large impact socket and a framing hammer. They went in pretty easy like that. I know thats not how it's done but it's better than spending $45 to have them pressed in. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Advance auto in Mass. claim not to carry shackles, bolts, or bushings for 01 f150. Sent me to dealer, who had SOME of the parts. Shackles, 2 bolts, one nut and no bushings.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marshvegasmike
Advance auto in Mass. claim not to carry shackles, bolts, or bushings for 01 f150. Sent me to dealer, who had SOME of the parts. Shackles, 2 bolts, one nut and no bushings.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:24 AM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

I thought this was the 87-96 forum..

Quick Reply: busted leaf spring hanger