Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

anyone run w/o fan shroud or a chopped shroud?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone run w/o fan shroud or a chopped shroud?

the replacement radiator is about twice as thick and the shroud is a really tight fit. i wouldnt think it would hurt to chop it up just a little but has anyone else done this or ran without one at all?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:56 PM
that's gonna leave a mark

If it fits, don't chop it. It isn't wise to run without a shroud unless you put an electric fan like a black magic with a built in shroud on the rad.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by dbunch
the replacement radiator is about twice as thick and the shroud is a really tight fit. i wouldnt think it would hurt to chop it up just a little but has anyone else done this or ran without one at all?

mine doesnt have a shroud on the radiator for the fan, was missing when i bought it, for now i just made sure and zip tied the upper radiator hose to the throttle body air hoses so the fan cant hit that hose, its been fine for a while now. i do plan on buying one someday or just going electric....
Old 03-29-2008, 12:25 AM

well great minds think alike, i have mine zip tied to the throttle body hoses for right now to. i think im gonna cut about an inch off of the fan side so it wont be so close. and i really hate whenever your off road and the front end twists a little bit and causes the shroud to hit the fan. annoying as hell.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:41 AM
mmmm.....

you HAVE to cut the shrould w/ a body lift. so dont feel out of place, theres a lot of chopped fan shrouds. mine is abliterated on the bottom side of it.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:35 PM
that's gonna leave a mark

Yes, you do chop it when you body lift but you fill in the gaps to make it a complete circle. You can do what ever makes you happy but I've found with our race cars that it is extremely crucial to direct the air through the rad as much as possible. It is especially important if you are doing any slow 4 wheeling or clogging the rad with mud as that decreases the amount of air through the rad and increases the temp. A little bit now or a lot later is what I always go by...
Old 03-29-2008, 06:38 PM

why are you going to a rad that is twice as thick?was the old rad not cooling the engine.why dont you see if you can put a smaller spacer in behind the fan without it hitting anything.thats what i did on my 85 f150
Old 03-29-2008, 11:25 PM

i wrecked my truck and smashed the front end back to the water pump. had to get a new rad and when i ordered it they said there was two diff sizes. we just guessed the bigger one. anyway i just cut the shroud in half and put the top part as far up as possible and the bottom half as low as possible and it works great. theres about a two inch gap on each side but that wont make a difference in anything.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:18 PM

dude i took off my shroud so the engine would look better and the tempeter is the same

Quick Reply: anyone run w/o fan shroud or a chopped shroud?