Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Another cast vs steel distributor question: important now

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Another cast vs steel distributor question: important now

EVERY place I checked sold distributors with a cast gear for my truck. So I installed a new distributor with a cast gear in my 95 F150 (351W) and it fired up proving the PIP was the problem. The engine did "tick" some, sounding exactly like a lifter. I turned the truck off, and did not check or adjust the timing.

I did compare the two distributors before installing to be sure the gear was at the same height as the old one. But I didn't really notice if the new gear was "cast". The installation was smooth. Now I'm worried. Can someone tell me if I installed the wrong type of gear (my old distributor is pictured below).

Last edited by hoytpr; 12-27-2020 at 07:52 PM. Reason: shortened and clarified
Old 12-28-2020, 06:05 PM

Can anyone point me to a (compatible) distributor with steel gears rather than cast iron?

I found one guy on eBay who describes his gears as "low carbon steel".
Old 12-30-2020, 06:17 AM

Received 508 Likes on 441 Posts

Rockauto.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:11 AM

Received 317 Likes on 196 Posts

I believe and could be wrong the roller engine came with steel I have a 95 lightning which is not roller but I bought a Mallory and everyone they list for my engine has the wrong gear and I didn't realize it at first seems like Mallory would sell the right one but they don't I put a new oem back in
Old 12-30-2020, 06:58 PM

Rock Auto shows everything as cast iron. Unless the Autoline D4102 is (they don't say cast or steel). Everyplace I know of (and I'm old and a car guy), sells cast iron. I found one place selling gears only which seem pricey but I'd pay it if I could know which one would work on this engine.
https://www.competitionproducts.com/...products/3101/
I can fix the PIP sensor and put the old (worn?) gear back in, which may be the best option since the gear and cam are worn "together".

I'd sure like to find a rebuilt Motocraft rather than pressing all those parts together. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by hoytpr; 12-30-2020 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:29 PM

So, today I learned that the distributor in my 1995 truck might be a 1996 version based on the Motorcraft part number and that Rock Auto does sell both steel and cast iron gear types for 1996.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...122398&jsn=496

But why risk messing up my cam when I don't know if I have a roller cam or not. Will try to put in a new Hall sensor (PIP).
Old 12-31-2020, 10:03 PM

Today I wanted to fix my Motorcraft distributor, but can't figure out how to pull the retainer sleeve (?) Above the bottom gear. I was able to pull the gear off, but don't have a puller that fits between the retainer and the distributor body.
A bearing puller?

P

Trending Topics

Old 01-07-2021, 09:29 PM

Default fixed with new distributor

Just coming back to let everyone know it was in fact the PIP sensor in the distributor.

Because I couldn't be sure whether I had the cast iron or steel gear, I pulled my old gear of the old Motorcraft and swapped it onto the Cardone I bought at RA.

I could not pull the retainer bushing off the old Motorcraft or I would have just rebuilt it. I might still do that. (The shafts were ever so slightly different diameters 0.03") so I've ordered some bearing pullers to get the retainer off the old Motocraft, then I can put in a new PIP sensor, and swap the gear back onto the old dizzy. Don't know if it's worth it but I'd rather stay with Ford parts.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:34 PM

Tap on the end of the shaft once the roll pin is out

Quick Reply: Another cast vs steel distributor question: important now