Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Alternator going out ? Newer tranny the reason ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator going out ? Newer tranny the reason ?

I just swapped my 90 f150 E40D, for a nice recently rebuilt one... The install went rather decent, the tranny pan is leaking, but i think the permetex fixed that...

The main seal we replaced, but it seems to still be leaking... fluid is leaking where the tranny meets the engine... if all the bolts are tight, and the main seal was just replaced, what else could it be ?

Also, since we have replaced the tranny, it would seem that when i come to a stop, the meter that shows battery volage, goes down at the stop... then once you start to go, it goes back up... it also brightens the lights just slightly on the inside when power is applyed... Would a rebuilt tranny be requiring more power to turn it, since it doesn't slip, and could this be causing the internal lights to just barley dim when slow down, and brighten back up, once on power ? Or could it be my alternator is on the way out, before the tranny stop, car didn't do anything of this nature.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

You may have distorted the seal when driving it in, causing it to leak. The transmission pump may be leaking, depending on how good the person who rebuilt it is.

Have the alternator tested.

Since you just got it back together the computer may still be learning and hasn't adjusted fully yet.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who test alternators ? Does Baxters / Napa or anyone do that ?

Does the ecu need to be reset or anything, give the cpu a chance to relearn what going on with the tranny ?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:09 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Any parts store should be able to test it. Once the battery is unhooked that resets the computer. Once it's hooked back up the computer has to relearn your driving style.

Quick Reply: Alternator going out ? Newer tranny the reason ?