Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

'96 F-150 A/C and P/S Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 F-150 A/C and P/S Problems

So I just bought a '96 f150 and it had a lot of problems. I've fixed most of them but I have an annoying power steering whine, and a leaking a/c line. I just need to know the names of the hoses and lines I need to replace. For the power steering what's the name of the hose at the bottom of the pump and what's the name of the hose at the top of the pump. For the a/c, what's the name of the lines that are under the front of the truck that lead into the condenser. They are right under the crank shaft and radiator fan. By the way it's a 5.8, I can't find diagrams for this stuff anywhere.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Not sure about the A/C but the power steering pump only has two hoses, the high pressure line and the return line. High pressure line has the wrench fitting and runs directly into the steering box, return line goes from the box back to the pump (usually just clamped on at the pump), and usually has an extended portion that mounts to the engine crossmember that acts as a "cooler."

If you really want to get rid of the whine and are willing to put in a little work, check out the saginaw pump conversion - I did it on my truck awhile back and it is by far the best mod I have done to the truck. You can re-use the return line if it is in good shape but you will need a new high pressure hose and a slightly longer belt.

https://www.f150forum.com/f10/sagina...ersion-332653/
Old 09-22-2016, 09:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 96_5.8
So I just bought a '96 f150 and it had a lot of problems. I've fixed most of them but I have an annoying power steering whine, and a leaking a/c line. I just need to know the names of the hoses and lines I need to replace. For the power steering what's the name of the hose at the bottom of the pump and what's the name of the hose at the top of the pump. For the a/c, what's the name of the lines that are under the front of the truck that lead into the condenser. They are right under the crank shaft and radiator fan. By the way it's a 5.8, I can't find diagrams for this stuff anywhere.
Every single OBS Ford I've ever seen has a power steering whine, it's just one of the things you sign up for with one of these trucks lol. The 300s, 302s, 351s, they all do it. The only real good way to get rid of it is with that Saginaw conversion mentioned above. You can check your power steering fluid to see if it's low, because that'll make it whine louder, but you'll never really get rid of it without that conversion.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:30 PM

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts

I replaced my pump a few years ago with a Auto Zone Duralast model and I don't have any whine. Might be I got lucky, but I'm happy with it.

Come to think of it, I didn't replace it, another mechanic did. So I don't really know what I have.

Last edited by memoniz; 09-22-2016 at 07:33 PM. Reason: mistaken

Quick Reply: '96 F-150 A/C and P/S Problems